BlogML Imported RSS But Posts Don't Appear

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Strange problem here.  I imported from WordPress using the RSS option in the BlogML import on the Settings page.  My categories, posts, and category/post info imported just fine -- I can see them in SQL Server.  But the records don't appear on the site!?

I know I'm doing something wrong.

Well, I found out that I wasn't doing something wrong.  The cache needed refreshing!  I suppose if I'd waited long enough, the cache would have expired & refreshed and I wouldn't have known about the "problem" (since it really isn't a problem).

Nonetheless, as this post says ( you can't run iisreset.  And Sam McGeown's post is absolutely brilliant -- inserting a line of code into the source to refresh the cache, recompiling, posting to my hosted site.

Real quick, Sam's instructions:

1. Open default.aspx.cs in Visual Studio (or just a text editor)
  2. Add the following to the Page_Load function:

3. Save and upload default.aspx.cs, refresh your blog.

And now that I have it working, BlogEngine.NET is lovely for it's open source nature to be able to tweak things just so.  (If you don't have it working, it can be a nightmare!)

An extra headache for me was resolving compilation issues with BE.NET.  I don't have the source/debug out there on my host, but rather, a pre-compiled/compiled version using a Web Deployment Project.  So for me it was a matter of doing steps #1 and #2, then running the full compile, and finally, copying the contents of my local bin folder to the site's bin folder to overwrite its contents.

I'm running version 1.4.5 and it's 2010.  I think my issues aren't over.