Web Farm

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:02 PM
Has anyone had luck with BE in a Web farm? I am using the SqlProvider and running this app in a four server cluster. All files are moved to a staging server that uses App Center to deploy. It is not a problem with replication of project files. I noticed that the Settings are read once on the first access. This causes a problem when you change settings or add pages because the app doesn't know when to refresh itself because a different server made a change to the back-end.

George
Jan 26, 2008 at 6:32 AM
If you have a four servers cluster and a SQL server backend, I suggest you using CommunityServer instead of BE.
Jan 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM
So the only fix for this is not to use BE? I have seen a few articles that say BE should work fine in a farm except for the few things that use XML. It would seem to me that this is not "cluster-aware" because if there is any storage in XML files, using a SqlProvider, it would not be suitable for a farm.
Jan 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM
BE will NOT work properly in a web farm environment. You will loss data if BE is setup in a web farm environment.

BE keeps all posts/pages/comments/etc in memory, even when using the SQL provider. A change made on one web server will not be communicated to all the others. In fact, the web servers will delete each other's comments any time a post is updated for any reason (including a new comment). The reason for this is when an update is made to a post, BE will deletes all post's comments in the SQL database and then re-insert them using the information in the web server's local memory.

Note: BE will work in an active/passive Windows "cluster" environment - but only as long as only one instance is active at a time. I won't go into the details here, except to say, I don't really recommend it due to the complex configuration requirements and licensing costs.