Various BlogEngine issues

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:20 AM
Edited Jan 26, 2008 at 6:26 AM
I'm having much more trouble getting blogengine running than I seem to need to be. It downloaded, unpacked and uploaded fine, but I've noticed various, seemingly silly, problems with how it runs. I can add users, for example, but don't know how to get it to save permissions for them. Great, I'll edit the xml.

Then I go to add my test post, and it flags 'upload file' and the 'choose category' (not the check mark, but the add blank) as required. Wonderful, I'll edit the webform not to check for that.

Then I get her posting and I can't remove posts. I can edit them, I can add new ones, but I can't remove them.

Has anybody seen any of these problems? maybe I should just switch over to sql to fix these. My first thought was permissions issues, but that really doesn't sound like it's causing all of my problems.
Jan 26, 2008 at 6:38 AM

reaperman wrote:
Then I get her posting and I can't remove posts. I can edit them, I can add new ones, but I can't remove them.

Maybe this is theme dependent - there is a "Delete" option next to the "Edit" option on the bottom of each of my posts, using the default theme.
Jan 26, 2008 at 6:42 AM
Edited Jan 26, 2008 at 6:43 AM
oh no, there's a delete button, and a delete confirmation popup, they just don't do anything, under any theme (including default). Maybe that's a modify permission problem. But then why can I add posts and edit them?

I forgot to mention that I'm also having reliability issues with it. Sometimes it will come up 'unthemed' with the text spralled down a white background until I refresh half a dozen times.

Turns out that setting up ms sql on my isp isn't exactly as easy as I was hoping either.
Jan 26, 2008 at 8:26 AM
Reaperman, which ISP/web host do you use?
Jan 26, 2008 at 8:47 AM
Edited Jan 26, 2008 at 8:52 AM
I use hostdepartment.com--and I'm really thinking it's a problem with them, or at least something I need to work around or live with. But I don't know what to tell them when I'm contacting them for support. There is an error icon at the bottom of the page when this app fails. The details read:

line: 129
char: 5
error: 'event' is null or not an object
code:0
url: http://blog.accessnola.com/admin/Pages/Users.aspx (because the error I copied is the one from granting permissions on the user page, however this page doesn't have 129 lines so tracking this down is going to be a bit more complex)

It should be noted that I also installed 'MyWebPagesStarterKit_1.1.4' from this general area on another subdomain, and get the same exact error. what is it exactly that I am not being allowed to do? feel free to check out my blog from around the url above. login is still default

right now the only changes to the stock load are a couple lines in the add post, so I could get the test post to work. (I had to remove a couple checks mentioned in the first post)
Jan 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM
Before you rule out permission issues, how's your virtual application configured?
(http://www.hostdepartment.com/d/user/virtual_directory.html)

Most important thing to check is your /App_Data/ folder and all its subfolders for 'allow write access'.

If you've verified that's properly configured, HostDept. might restrict your ASP.NET account from deleting files.

Many GoDaddy Hosting customers (just like me) experienced similar issues until Support granted sufficient rights.
You can read the full thread here (long, but useful)

Thanks for the useful background and keep us updated!

Best regards, Mike

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM

MikevZ wrote:
Before you rule out permission issues, how's your virtual application configured?
(http://www.hostdepartment.com/d/user/virtual_directory.html)

Most important thing to check is your /App_Data/ folder and all its subfolders for 'allow write access'.

If you've verified that's properly configured, HostDept. might restrict your ASP.NET account from deleting files.

Many GoDaddy Hosting customers (just like me) experienced similar issues until Support granted sufficient rights.
You can read the full thread here (long, but useful)

Thanks for the useful background and keep us updated!
Best regards, Mike

sadly that linked instruction page is as out of date as the rest of the ones I've been reading. In FTP the folder permissions look right--but then they probably would. I'll get into a support chat and figure this out. I had to get into a large chat last night, where it took them a good chunk of time to 'allow' me to use ms sql, so these problems may be frequent.

How are blog entries stored? I would imagine there would be one big xml file, meaning that if I'm adding, changing or removing that I'm just modifying this file. Are they stored in multiple files? That would suggest that I'm actually deleting a file when I remove it, rather than modifying an xml document.
Jan 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM
By default, BE.NET stores posts as individual, separated .XML file. So deleting a post will actually remove the .XML file from the /App_Data/Posts.

Sorry to hear HostDept. provide old online support content. Couldn't find anything else for you.

Well, good luck with the support chat - hope everything turns out well. Keep us updated, thanks!

Cheers Mike
Jan 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM
Edited Jan 29, 2008 at 3:49 AM
well, the host's chat didn't go especially well, according to them they don't really change permissions. So now I get to figure out how to use their sql. The odd thing is that delete was working for a day or so. I saw it, and somebody from this forum also noticed it. consistancy isn't stellar with this host, but I can't figure out why the heck it worked. (but it's not now, and it won't be consistant)

This really poses a problem with the 'mywebpagestarterkit' I downloaded from here, as I don't believe it's an easy option.

another, more troubling issue with the blog, is that sometimes, it just forgets to do most of the formatting on the page. This could be a browser issue (I need to keep IE6) but I've noticed it on both my blog, and this very site. There will just be a white page, devoid of pictures--there is only text in various sizes and links. Maybe a few basic tables. At first I thought this might be the mobile theme, but it doesn't really seem like it, and it's popped up a few times since I switched the mobile theme to the same theme I'm using. I should screenshot it next time, I suppose.
Jan 29, 2008 at 6:40 AM
Edited Jan 29, 2008 at 6:40 AM
The hosting issue will have to wait until morning, but something else has started to bug me more.

What causes blogengine pages that look like this:
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5116/blogfixedas2.jpg

to show up like this:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4446/blogbrokesz3.jpg

is there a workaround for it? I've had it in a few different browsers, and it seems to happen randomly. I've even seen this page do it.
Jan 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Well, as a workaround you could give my custom-built BE.NET a try.

Initially, it's aimed for GoDaddy hosting but might fix your Host Dept. issues as well.

How would that work out for you?

Best regards,
Mike
Jan 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM
sorry, it seems to do the same. But at least I can get blog engine mostly working--to the point where I can live with its problems. But most other out of the box apps are not going to work. I'm still in my "30-day money back and free move somewhere else" window and the chat support hasn't been useful or friendly.

Is there a 'best host' for this kind of thing? I suppose we wouldn't hear too much from folks without problems on this forum.
Jan 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM
Sorry to hear that too. Maybe not such a bad idea to use their 30-day policy.

Regarding to your best host question, I've noticed the ads on the home tab and Mads blog for:
http://www.discountasp.net/go/go.aspx?i=4564

The banner reads "BlogEngine Hosting, 3 months free". So who knows, it sounds promising.

Perhaps someone here can share DiscountASP.net experiences, cause I signed up months ago for an annual GoDaddy plan :-|

Good luck and keep us posted if you wouldn't mind!
Cheers, Mike