Upgrade from BE 1.4.0.0 to BE 1.6.1

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
May 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM
Edited May 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I have been tasked with upgrading our current site that uses BE 1.4.0.0 to BE 1.6.1. The developer that installed and maintained our BE site is gone and I have no experience with BE.  Our blog has been themed by the previous developer and I don't know what other customizations may have been made.

I started to research the upgrade by looking on the BlogEngine website for upgrade directions. When I go to http://blogengine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation#version16upgrade and look at the section "4.1 Upgrading to version 1.6" (from a previous version) step 3 says "As always, please follow the upgrade guidelines described below." but there are no further directions below for the 1.6 upgrade, only the next section "4.2 Upgrading to version 1.4".  Are there detailed directions for an upgrade from a previous version (1.4) to 1.6.1?

Thanks,

Josh

Coordinator
May 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM

There's some good guidelines here.  But there's not too much to the upgrade.  The one potential concern is whether the previous developer made any changes to BE outside of the the theme files.  The theme files are in the themes\THEME_NAME folder.  You can see what theme you're running by going to the Settings tab in the control panel.  When upgrading, you can keep your own theme, but it's best to overwrite all the files outside of the theme folder.  And if any custom changes were made to files outside of the theme, you would normally want to manually reapply those changes.  Also, you should know whether you're using the default XML storage of a DB for storage.  Here's how I would go about it.

1.  Backup the entire blog first.  So in case anything goes wrong, you can always revert to the backup (and you can be more fearless with the upgrade!)

2.  Copy the BE 1.6.1 files into your BE folder.  This is to overwrite all your files & folders.  EXCEPT, what you don't want to overwrite is the App_Data folder, robots.txt file, your theme folder (themes\THEME_NAME), and probably not the web.config file.  So excluding these files/folders, just overwrite everything else with the 1.6.1 files and folders.

3.  In the App_Code directory, delete the "ExtensionManager" subfolder.

If you're using DB storage, rather than the default XML storage, you would want to run the upgrade scripts in the "setup" folder.  There's upgrade scripts for each of the DB's (SQL Server, mySql, etc).  Generally, there will be one upgrade script from 1.4 to 1.4.5, and then another upgrade script from 1.4.5 to 1.5, and another script from 1.5 to 1.6.  You would want to run each of those scripts in order (from oldest to newest).

This is the general upgrade process.

May 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Thanks BenAmada,

That seems to have worked and I even got recaptcha working as well.  My client will be testing over the next several days.

Thanks again,

Josh

May 11, 2010 at 4:46 AM

Hi,

I'm going to make the upgrade to 1.6.1 from 1.5 and I'm using the default XML data format, I'm going to create another Theme so I don't care about the Theme, so from what I gather, if I just copy over the App_Data folder to keep all the old posts that's all that's necessary after I copy over the new files, is this correct?

The main reason I need to switch to the latest is to combat all the massive amounts of Comment Spam I'm getting to my Inbox - what's the best way to deal with this once I have 1.6.1 set up?

Thanks

Coordinator
May 11, 2010 at 4:59 AM
blazingbiz wrote:

The main reason I need to switch to the latest is to combat all the massive amounts of Comment Spam I'm getting to my Inbox - what's the best way to deal with this once I have 1.6.1 set up?

Thanks

1. Turn on auto-moderation and enable Akismet filter - here is how.

2. Enable reCaptcha - follow this guide.

Other than occasional manual spam, you should have no more trouble.

May 11, 2010 at 9:28 AM

OK, thank you.