Inherit some child application but not all

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 25, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I got some information from a previous post here and it did help me part of the way but I need further assistance.  Here is the scenario:

I am running blog engine and then have another application running within BE call FileVista.  When I try to access file vista I get an error like:

Could not load file or assembly 'BlogEngine.Core' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

When I add the below to the BE FileVista works but I can no longer access the admin area of BE.  I assume that is because the admin area is a child of BE and it needs to inherit the settings from BE web.config (or something along those lines).

<location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">
    <system.web>
    </system.web>
</location>

So here is the question,  How to I amend the above to allow it to inherit the admin area but not FileVista.

I hope I have give enough information.

Thanks

Coordinator
May 25, 2010 at 3:10 AM

The admin area of BE is not a sub-application or child.   It's part of the same application, and happens to just be in a sub-folder.

I would expect there to not be a problem accessing the admin area with the <location> tag you added.

When you say that you can no longer access the admin area of BE, what happens when you try to access it?  Do you get any error messages?  Do you get kicked out and redirected somewhere?  If so, where?  Is FileVista running okay?

May 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM
Ben, Thanks for the reply. I will get a detailed reply to you this evening. I changed the settings yesterday so that I could add an entry. I will revert them back tonight and walk through the messages. Thanks, Guy
May 26, 2010 at 2:24 AM

I had the setting in both BE and FileVista web.config files and it caused FileVista to error.  I took the setting out of FileVista and all works well now.

May 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM
OK...so my above statement is incorrect. Filevista does work as expected. I can view my site www.thenetheryfamily.com and I can log in to the admin section. However, when I try to add an entry I get the message "500-Internal server error". I cannot get to any of the admin pages at all. Any thoughts? Thanks,
Coordinator
May 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I think Filevista is not interfering with the admin folder (just a guess).

If you're running BE 1.6 or higher, in the Global.asax file, there's probably a "Application_Error" block of code.  If so, (temporarily) remove that entire block of code (approximately 48 lines of code).  This could be causing you to see 500-Internal Server Error, rather than seeing an actual error message.

And/or in the web.config file, change the customErrors tag so it is:

<customErrors mode="Off">

If you're using IE, you may also be seeing IE's "friendly" error messages.  You could try a non-IE browser, or in IE, you can turn this off under Tools -> Options -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> uncheck "Show friendly HTTP error messages".

The purpose of these changes is to try and get an actual error message.

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:24 AM

I made the above adjustments and continue to get the same error.  I was using mozilla as my browser.

Any other suggestions?

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:20 AM

SOLVED

First I followed the suggestions at this site:http://runtingsproper.blogspot.com/2010/04/solved-iis7-validateintegratedmodeconfi.html

Then I wrapped both <system.web> and <system.webServer> with <location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false"> in both BE and in FileVista.  Not sure that both applications needed it but it worked so I am running with it.

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2010 at 7:11 AM

That's good news ... those <location> tags are only needed in the parent application, to prevent settings from propagating down to the child application(s).