Missing Theme Resources

Topics: Themes
May 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Hi,

on the theme page on the offical site are 3 sites listed. They seem to be dead or do not have themes. I think that is very bad. The codebase and features of the project can be as good as possible. But one of the most important features for blog users is support for many themes. So, i think there should be a central resource for viewing / uploading / downloading themes. It's currently a mess to browse the web for be themes.

Any Ideas?

Cheers,

René

Coordinator
May 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Actually, all 3 sites up and running and have themes for download. But I agree that we could do a lot more to bring an order in this important field. The idea would be to have a service that allows to share themes, so you could mark any theme as shared, add metadata and it would be available for download to other BlogEngine users through admin panel. In the bigger picture, extensions and widgets can be distributed same way. It is basically an app store conveniently located right in your admin panel so you can install and remove components with a button click. Shopping cart for payed for items can be introduced, too. It's a large task, and with limited resources will take a time to get there. Hopefully some pieces can be in place for 2.0 release. If someone in the community wants to volunteer, we can make it happen much faster :)

May 25, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Seems like you're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I think that would be too much work within the app. I think an easier and faster approach would be to open up a new website for sharing themes, widgets, extensions, etc.