Unable to logon with 1.6.0 running on MSQL database

May 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Hi Folks,

I have been installing version 1.6.0 on windows XP running IIS prior to installing on my windows hosting. I need security to run from the Blogengine Database, and having installed the database on MSQL express I can get the blog home page to load but nothing gets me past the logon prompt.

I get the message "Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again"

I have deleted and reinstalled the database but no difference in the results, the various forum threads on this issue relate to earlier versions and despite trying them I get no further.

My web.config file refers to the SQL member and role providers - I had expected this to use the users and roles tables from the be_ database, do I need to configure anything outside Blogengine to get this to work? Is there somthing I could have missed in the installation?

I tried to raise this thread yesterday but it does not show up

thanks

Mike

Coordinator
May 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM

There's two possibilities in your web.config file for the <membership> and <roleManager> sections.

Your "defaultProviders" for <membership> and <roleManager> might either be DbMembershipProvider and DbRoleProvider, respectively.  Or they may be SqlMembershipProvider and SqlRoleProvider, respectively.  Actually, the names could slightly differ.

If you're using the first ones (DbMembershipProvider and DbRoleProvider), then the be_Users and be_Roles tables will be used (these are the "BE" ones).  If you're using the 2nd ones, these are tied to the standard ASP.NET membership tables which usually begin with the "aspnet_" prefix.

If you're using the BE ones (the first ones), then check to see what data is in the be_Users and be_Roles tables.

Also, if you make any manual changes to the DB tables, you'll probably need to restart the blog so those changes are detected.  You can restart the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

If you set the password in the be_Users table to a blank password (an empty string), then you can try logging in via the default password of "admin".  But again, if you manually change the password in the DB, make sure you restart the blog as noted above.

May 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your help and I am now up and working ok

Mike

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I am using the BlogEngine.NET_1.6_(source) I am getting the same error msg :(

"Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again."

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Are you trying to log in with username "admin" and password "admin" ?