Existing site/Blogengine with mssql Membership etc...

May 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM
Edited May 31, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I added blogengine from the web project download to an existing IIS7 on a ms server 2008r2 (I have admin rights) site developed by myself with vs2008 like /ExistingSite/Blog.

I installed the blogengine on the server rather than from visual studio publish or ftp remote development environment. I configured blogengine and my site so that it uses mssql server 2008 for content, membership and roles. It worked! I got the default post served by sql and added some content myself successfully. I could access it as http://myexamplesite.com/Blog The website and the Blog successfully shared the same aspnetdb.  

I then began learning about the Profile aspect of aspnetdb and added that capability to my website. One of the Profile fields I added was really an object shipping.cs located in App_Code of the root site      

<add name="BusinessName" type="String" serializeAs="String"/>
        <add name="FirstName" type="String" serializeAs="String"/>
        <add name="LastName" type="String" serializeAs="String"/>
        <add name="DateOfBirth" type="DateTime" serializeAs="String"/>
        <add name="BillAddress" type="Address"/>
        <add name="ShipAddress" type="Address"/>
        <!--<add name="Cart" type="ShoppingCart" serializeAs="Binary"/> I’ll add this soon-->
Everything working fine in my development environment. I don’t use the blog from the development environment. 
I published the web site with the considerable enhancements tested and working in the development environment. 
The published site runs fine and makes use of my new Profile enhancements. But the site/Blog is now broken. Complaining about the missing Address[.cs|.obj|.whatever] 

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Address' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I did try changing the BlogENgineVirtualPath from ~/ to ~/Blog/ in the /Blog/web.config without any apparent effect.

I found this intriguing perhaps someone can elaborate “…but make the blog a child application of the main application within IIS. …” in this post:   http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=73709 That sounds like there is some configuration or deploy or ?? regarding my main site and the blogengine.

Somehow I need to link or include or configure so that Blogengine sees Address object. Perhaps there are as yet undiscovered gotcha’s that may be circumvented with configuration I haven’t learned about yet regarding asp.net applications running subordinate to another.