Source code release?

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:31 AM

hi, I would like to integrate BlogEngine with my existing ASP.net project.

By doing so, do I need to release my ASP.net project source code to the public?

If I consume my web service in BlogEngine, do I need to release my web service source code to the public?

If I modified BlogEngine source code, do I need to release the modified BlogEngine source code to the public?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM

The official license is here and I can't say I'm complete familiar with it, but if you're making changes to BE.NET for yourself or company you're working for, you do not need to release your code or modifications to the public.

I think it's only if you were to make modifications to BE.NET and distribute your modified version of BE.NET to others would you need to make the source code modifications you made to BE.NET available (3A in the License).

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:26 AM

But I'll be letting the public to use this modified version of blog engine, I no need to release my existing project source code and modified blogengine source code at all?

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM
Edited Jun 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

(A) Reciprocal Grants- For any file you distribute that contains code from the software (in source code or binary format), you must provide recipients the source code to that file along with a copy of this license, which license will govern that file. You may license other files that are entirely your own work and do not contain code from the software under any terms you choose.

(B) No Trademark License- This license does not grant you rights to use any contributors' name, logo, or trademarks.

(C) If you bring a patent claim against any contributor over patents that you claim are infringed by the software, your patent license from such contributor to the software ends automatically.

(D) If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present in the software.

(E) If you distribute any portion of the software in source code form, you may do so only under this license by including a complete copy of this license with your distribution. If you distribute any portion of the software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under a license that complies with this license.

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:11 AM

Pardon me but I don't understand, that's why I asked...

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Sorry if I sounded as if I was stating the obvious, it wasn't my intention. I was just highlighting the pertinent info.