Write BlogEngine.NET posts on the IPhone or IPad - It Works !!

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Hi All

I love blogging, I love BlogEngine.NET (I am an ASP.NET developer and use the platform for all my blogs), I love my IPhone, and more recently I have fallen in love with my IPad.

The big dissapointmet I had was that there wasnt an app from the app store that allowed me to write blogs offline for BlogEngine.NET, and then publish them at will to my website(s).

Well, after trying ALL the iphone/ipad apps, I've finally found a work-around solution

1) Buy the 'BlogPress' IPhone or IPad app from the App store ( http://blogpress.coollittlethings.com/index.php )
2) In the settings, click on 'Add Another Blog' (or maybe it was something else for the first blog - cant remember)
3) Select 'WordPress' as the blog service provider
4) In username and password fields, enter your BlogEngine.NET details (as you would if you posted via the website)
5) In the URL field, add your BlogEngine.NET metaweblog api address url - e.g. http://www.deanchalk.me.uk/metaweblog.axd

This should now add your blog to the list of blogs on the app, and you can post away to your hearts content.

NOTE :

1) You MUST select at least 1 category for each post, otherwise it wont publish your post (comes up with a silly error about network not being ready)
2) You need Picasa or Flickr online album to include images in your posts
3) You need a YouTube account to include videos in your posts

Apart from that, its absolutely bloody awesome !!!

Dean

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:48 PM

You are just a loving kinda guy ;-) Thanks for sharing Dean.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Cheers mate, user your tip and it worked great.

eBook-iPad

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Is this option gone with BlogEngine.net 2.0 ? I can't find the metaweblog.asx-file, and assume this is because it's been removed ?

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Do you mean metaweblog.axd?  If so, that still exists ... it's a virtual URL (i.e. there's no physical file, but the web server responds to the URL).  You should be able to see something come up if you append metaweblog.axd to your site's domain name.  Ex:

www.example.com/metaweblog.axd

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM
BlogPress for IPhone / IPad does not support BLogEngine and BlogPress hack to configure BlogEngine as WordPress does NOT work anymore. BlogWriter ( another ) IPhone app works fine with BlogEngine's MetawebLog API .
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Wow, quick answers - awsome!

BenAmada: Your corrent, thats whan I ment. I thought it should be a physical file, so thats why I didn't find it.

mvincic: Great, then I'll give that app a go. To bad BlogPress doesen't work anymore, since I've allready downloaded it, but at least this thread now contains accurate information so others can avoid this mistake.

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:05 AM

Just an FYI this does still work on BlogPress.  You just have to set the provider to Joomla (notice the bottom of the screen on Joomla says to enable Metaweblog on Joomla).

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Now one can connect to BlogEngine.net from BlogPress using Joomla settings, but sees the posts as raw HTML.
BlogWritter still better integrates with BlogEngine.NET .

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Sounds good. But i'm an android user. Does anybody know an android app for blogging with be.net?