Recovery Method When Theme Is Corrupt?

Topics: Themes
Jun 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM
While trying to create a new BlogEngine theme the other day by following a 25 minute tutorial, the theme kind of blew up. Just like the Crazy Wheels demo site here:

�`I�%&/m�{J�J��t��`$ؐ@�����iG#)�*��eVe]f@�흼 ��{���{��;�N'���?\fdl��J�ɞ!���?~|?"��Ey�')=��y6����h����H'��:���ղ�>� Ey�裟��Y��>:�O���b�>ZV�"+壦�A�(?��Ӫ��G�2��=�%�w�@} ���(��m�z�n�_��%>���9��٭!~{7����0{��=X��I��������oA�U� ���3���i1�ғj�Te��uf� �e��m^+�E eB��c*�j�w��,�Vu�����2? @]�uC_��X_����E^��d�Tm[- ��;�w�v�V�r�M��q��y���uYP祐���2�����uC� ԡO��w}V|WeK�d��\0��>���}d�� B���w�^�5�;=�K�ď��ժ,�����N��Y;�lwg�wO1 �� ��5EI�=�Kpz=������xq���Q�n� �/=Ϧ�g�EV��o�QK�����e~I?_����e��*�X�Y=J���uq�F39J��ʹ.V�&��N����z�i(I �wӜ�K�)�dd����EJ�o��Z�=�� �y�O�:�E�F��,�����"��fMKL��5 ���NIE�<�(1�lR�[邧��I��9Z�iUĐYK��r��,�G�E�� ���i�fE���__��,���'�o��ʶz�~����Z�D��G����cM��?~N�t���������o�:߁����\eMzA�V3�ߛμI�����eVy��J��@r�O�e:!&��� ֍C���k���I�Wd�wc�O�䣏0 ���O/��h�jv� b�0y����`gggg������s�,}u6��-���<���ɢn�Y�@��y������yz�~��~r������.��j�*J��O�E9��E^�?�۟ī�᫼Y��ْP\f�P/��IEf��jY�k$�9���!��-_�d�LN��~��-���!e�naf�#�5%��?G�a;�2��+�z�'���%�:>�sRW��֛|������ʴ�"mF��&�xw��=-��JV_� �ց.˜�d��E�c�.���W�����M;�(�n��1���P,<�o�{ �l�~�x�C�[��s���ޤ�ni�۰k��<#}��g������#?sB�C��>5��6_�7�s ����"�}U�⽭ E��Sj�0�+s z_���/�uS^S��Gj��̋F+�f�@��Oܚ6��pqf:&�4[Svĸ �^8/.�ȵ�U�̫��\�I՘lY�ܤ��/,)߸n(;��P:eFI�/��?�� /��1�)f�oxa)�) j�*_Tm�岼֦4�U]��S�%�j� %ی����

What do you do when you see this? I just hit back in my browser until it showed the old theme, and then I selected that. But I'm curious -- why would blogengine output this garbled code? Was there a change from 1.4 to the current version that makes the previous code incompatible? How would you recover your site if you do something and see this (and the method of going back in your browser doesn't work)? Tom
Jun 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2010 at 10:30 AM
  1. Since the Admin section uses its own theme you can go to it manually rather than using your back button. Http://yourblog.com/admin/pages/settings.aspx and change it there.
  2. Edit the database/xml files manually to change the theme. ~/App_Data/settings.xml and the section is "<theme>YourTheme</theme>".
  3. Change the name of the theme folder that exploded and upload the Standard theme with the name changed to the theme that you were using.

Hope that helps if you ever need it.

I don't think the following will help with the above issue. I've had it before myself and don't remember how I fixed it. 

1. Turn of trimming style sheets in the settings menu. 
  2. Disable compressing AXD files in the setting menu.
  3. Turn on debugging and turn off custom errors inn your web.config file.
  4. Make sure your browser is not displaying friendly http errors.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Taylex, thanks you so much for your response. That's just the information I needed.