Web Site vs WebApp

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jun 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Guys, I would like to contribute to the project, so, my first big question is, why are you using a WebSite and not a WebProject in visual studio?
Using a WebProject makes the deploy so much easier especially if using VS2010 and the new Web Deployment transormation config

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdevtools/archive/2009/05/04/web-deployment-web-config-transformation.aspx

Also on my local version, I replaced the 250something images for flags with a sprite image containing all the images and some css/jquery to switch the images when changing the ddl.
Again, it make the project so much lighter to deploy, even if I realize this technique has some drawbacks (the client need to download 100kb of image instead of just the bits it needs). 

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

If i'm not mistaken, website was a default project template when BE started. Anyways, to change it today would potentially break a lot of things, especially in a way extensions work. Also, dynamic compilation supported by website project has its own advantages. Basically, your app_code folder behaves as mini-scripting engine. You can drop extension in it, edit them on the fly and do almost anything you could do in scripting like PHP very easy. I know there are tons of advantages using web project too... We might move there eventually.

If you want to contribute and really passionate about web project - do a fork and make nice clean conversion to web project, then we can pull it down to evaluate, test, check out all pros and cons and make (hopefully :) wise decision.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Nice, I've converted mine to Web Project and it looks like it work fine.
I'll fork as soon as I've got time

best