Build Theme Separately from BE.NET

Topics: Themes
Jul 7, 2010 at 3:44 AM

I've been doing some searching, but I haven't found a good answer to my question yet.  The question is this - is it possible to create a theme without having it be part of the BE.NET project, or do I need to create a "custom" BE.NET project, put the various themes I'll develop there, then only enable them on their appropriate sites?

Thanks - I'm working towards moving from WordPress to BE.NET, and will hopefully be migrating several sites by the time I'm done.  I want to make sure I pick a good structure now that will work for me in the future.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

You might check this tuts on how to convert wordpress theme to blogengine, they are a little dated but concept is the same. You can get away building theme without having application installed locally, it is just so easy to get VS express on your machine that most go this way. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM

So, I could develop my themes in a VS project with BlogEngine.NET, but then just take the files from the theme's folder if I wanted to distribute it elsewhere?  If that's the way it works, that's cool - I thought it would need to be compiled to a DLL.  :)  Thanks for the tutorial link as well - I've done one, and it really is pretty simple to convert a regular WP theme.  Now to figure out importing from WP...