absolute newbie need help!

Topics: Themes
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM
Just set up our blog website and have some really stupid questions.

How do new users sign in? Where do they register?

How do I change the "disclaimer"?

I'm using the netzero theme. How do I add an html document to the front page of the blog?

I'm using webe-mail from the same server and can't seem to get the contact e-mail set up, it keeps saying unable to contact when I test?

Thanks,

Mike
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:48 AM
Edited Feb 11, 2008 at 7:50 AM
Login as admin using something like www.yoursitename.domain/login.aspx

After you login, you should see an Administration menu somewhere on the sidebar, if you dont see it, go to the direct link www.yoursitename.domain/admin/Pages/Settings.aspx

Then, when in Admin backend section of a site, click the User tab, top right.

You could also add a user by going to App_Data folder and opening users.xml and writing them manually. Even roles can be added this way, just open roles.xml.

Then if you need some special funcionality, you do a little bit of coding. For example, you dont want a role "writers" to be able to publish their post, just write them, and so on, and so on.

What do you actually mean by "Where do they register?"? Admin is the one adding a users. If you want some sort of functionality to enable registering users like on this site for example, you would need to program it.

Disclaimer is usually a message written inside "site.master" or "SidePanel.ascx" file located in your theme folder, in your case inside folder of a theme called "netzero". Just open that file with notepad and find the area containing the disclaimer message, and change it with your own or completely delete it.

About the email. Best way to check that is to open an email client program and try to setup an email account. If the account information is corrent and it works in email client program then it should work in Contact page also.
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:48 AM
Login as admin using something like www.yoursitename.domain/login.aspx

After you login, you should see an Administration menu somewhere on the sidebar, if you dont see it, go to the direct link www.yoursitename.domain/admin/Pages/Settings.aspx

Then, when in Admin backend section of a site, click the User tab, top right.

You could also add a user by going to App_Data folder and opening users.xml and writing them manually. Even roles can be added this way, just open roles.xml.

Then if you need some special funcionality, you do a little bit of coding. For example, you dont want a role "writers" to be able to publish their post, just write them, and so on, and so on.

What do you actually mean by "Where do they register?"? Admin is the one adding a users. If you want some sort of functionality to enable registering users like on this site for example, you would need to program it.

Disclaimer is usually a message written inside "site.master" file located in your theme folder, in your case inside folder of a theme called "netzero". Just open that file with notepad and find the area containing the disclaimer message, and change it with your own or completely delete it.

About the email. Best way to check that is to open an email client program and try to setup an email account. If the account information is corrent and it works in email client program then it should work in Contact page also.