MVC Migration?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jul 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Any plans for migrating to MVC, but it might take a lot of changes.

or use both mvc and webforms and slowly migrate to mvc.

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM

There are no MVC migration plans.  It was discussed once before, but it was decided that the current Web Forms model is easier for most people to work with when they need to make modifications, customizations, etc.  I think MVC requires everything to be compiled, where the Web Site model used by BE doesn't require re-compiling the non-core code.  A proper MVC implementation would also involve setting up Unit Tests.

There's a lot of BE users who are light .NET programmers or don't program at all.  These users don't have VS available to make changes and re-compile the code, etc.  There's also not any real draw backs to the Web Forms model that limits what we want to use BE for.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM

hi,

actually mvc doesn't require everything to be compiled. u can put stuffs under the App_Code folder or create it as a compiled DLL. i had done this in one of the website (not web application) where I was slowly migrating to mvc.

i understand it would take a long time to migrate and also maintain compatibilty.

doin things like this would be much easier http://www.hanselman.com/blog/MixMobileWebSitesWithASPNETMVCAndTheMobileBrowserDefinitionFile.aspx

or might be try migrating the admin only page to use mvc at first.

anyways thanks for the clarification. converting to mvc is not much of importance at the moment thou.

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:49 AM
I think as the number of features increases the value of converting to MVC will increase. In the meantime it would be good to see the admin pages migrate to MVC. Adding unit testing would also improve things as it would at least prove that any user customizations don't break existing functionality.