Poll - Theme Menu: Left, Right or Elsewhere?

Topics: Themes
Feb 13, 2008 at 9:57 AM
Hi fellow BE.NET fans,

Since design experts say your visitors read web pages in F-shaped pattern,

Where would you prefer the site's navigation menu compared to the body content:

1: Left
2: Right
3: Elsewhere

Cheers,
Mike

BTW: check out Jesse's post on ThemeEngine.LayOutGala at his GravityCube blog for preview inspiration
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM
Kicking off, I'd prefer:

2: menus to the right

Because blog (themes) who put the body content to the full left makes scanning easy and puts the focus on your valuable content.
The links (navigation menus, blogroll, etc) on the far right with the search / subscribe options at the top.

(the layout from ThemeEngine Gala coming closest to this is #33)

A similar design I really like as well is from ProBlogger: very small navigation bar at the top, stuff on the right, focus on the content and at the bottom after the post more handy resources (categories, etc).

If anyone feels inspired to design/convert that theme for BE.NET - awesome ;-)

What's your preference?
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM
I think that people knows what is a content place, and what is a navigation or menu place.
It is really, that people shows pages in some way, may be F-Shaped or other top-to-down or left-to-right (what about other cultures like chinese ...).

But what is the blogs owner goal. Obviously a lot off people reading their post.
But some (like me) want to help and put navigation utilities at left., so people can move in the site and concentrate on what they want at the right.
Feb 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM
Interesting thoughts you've shared, thanks!

Yes, people know what is what and yes, the web is filled with many different layouts (good point on culture!)
What might be the blogger's obvious goal (lots of readers), wouldn't be my goal at all frankly;

I'd rather interact with a handful of quality community members sharing the same interests
than attracting a lot of random readers who might stumble upon once, nod and take off.

So if you're saying it depends on the blog owner's goal, I'd agree to a certain level.
But finding out your readers' goals to fufill them is most important in my opinion.

Thanks again and, oh my, makes me think of dozen other topics and perspectives.

Jtentor, do you also write blog posts in English? (since my Spanish is pretty rusty and I'd love to check out your writings)

Cheers Mike
Feb 13, 2008 at 1:16 PM
Thanks Mike.
I am trying to write in English, I am still missing.
Feb 13, 2008 at 1:16 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2008 at 1:17 PM
sorry two clicks.