Upload/publish images issue with Windows Live Writer

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Feb 13, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Hi,

Since I've discovered Windows Live Writer (WLW) to write blog posts, it feels like going back to the stone age when using tinyMCE. I have a problem however, since WLW will not upload/publish the images in the newly created blog post. It complains it cannot publish images to the blog.

It then gives me the opportunity to set up an FTP-account to upload the images. I set this up to upload the files to the /blog/App_Data/files directory. Here WLW creates a subfolder for every post.

However, every new post appears as a text-only post. By manually looking into the directory (with CuteFTP) it appears that the images are indeed uploaded, but are not referenced correctly in the post. I have to add the src="image.axd?picture=filename.jpg" for every image.

Is this a known behavior with WLW for fellow BE.NET users? Are there workarounds available? Posting directly from Word 2007 is flawless (including images), but I like the blog-specific commands from WLW better.

My setup:
  • BE.NET 1.3.0
  • installed in /blog subdirectory (www.kassenaar.com/blog)
  • write permissions on complete App_Data folder and subfolders
  • referenced metaweblog.axd in WLW-account information
  • behavior appears on both MSSQL and XML - installations (tried both of them, current XML is active).

Any information is highly appreciated,

thanks in advance,
Peter.
Feb 13, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Hi Peter,

I use a similar setup and I don't have any problems uploading pictures to the server with WLW.

Here two things that are different in my setup:

1) I have my blog engine application running in the root directory.
2) In my WLW setup I use the root url instead of having WLW point to the metaweblog.axd directly. In your case it would be "http://kassenaar.com/blog".

Klaus
Feb 13, 2008 at 7:47 PM
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your feedback,

1) I have my blog engine application running in the root directory.
2) In my WLW setup I use the root url instead of having WLW point to the metaweblog.axd directly. In your case it would be "http://kassenaar.com/blog".

Unfortunately I can't get it to work. WLW simply refuses to upload images. I even deleted the WLW-account (inside WLW) and added a new one. Same issue.

Anyone any other ideas?

TIA,
Peter.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:18 AM
This seem to start happening to me after I switched to using the ASP.NET SQL Server membership provider. I wonder if this could be related?
Mar 25, 2008 at 2:37 AM

dmorrison wrote:
This seem to start happening to me after I switched to using the ASP.NET SQL Server membership provider. I wonder if this could be related?

I found my particular problem. I didn't have write privileges for the ASP.NET user (or equivalent) to the App_Data directory, so I suppose Live Writer couldn't properly post images there and threw the error.
Mar 25, 2008 at 8:49 AM
Edited Mar 25, 2008 at 8:50 AM
Hi,

I do have write permissions on the App_Data directory (otherwise WLW would not be able to post the text of the message), so unfortunately this is not a solution to my problem - which still exists.

Whenever I now write a post in WLW, I add {pic} placeholders as a reminder in the text. Then publish the message, go to BE.NET TinyMCE and add the pics to the message. Not very elegant, nor straightforward, but at least that's how I can get it to work...
Apr 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Hi pkas06,

Even if you don't have write permissions to AppData then WLW might still be able to create a post. This was happening to me because I was using SQL Server provider. In that case, WLW needs to write to AppData for pictures but text is stored in DB. This was my problem.

However, it sounds like something different is happening for you.
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Hope that this will help you

Choose Movable Type API instead of Metaweblog API while configuring the Windows live writer

http://krishnan.co.in/blog/post/Blogenginenet-and-Windows-live-writer.aspx