Mike, help needed in importing existing users?

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:55 AM
Edited Feb 14, 2008 at 1:53 PM
Mike,

I just finished installling BlogEngine.Net. I like BE.NET. I think its a wonderful project.

I have a few questions.

1. How can I import my existing users and give them blogging rights?

2. How do I create the users dynamically when a new user registers on my website?

Thanks,

HyperX.
Feb 19, 2008 at 7:54 AM
Hi HyperX,

Unsure if you're addressing your question to me here, but perhaps the actual BE.NET developers (like Mads, Al or Rtur) can help you out here.

Since to me it sounds like you're trying to add new functionality to BE.NET (which I like too and try to contribute as much as I can).

As far as your questions:

1. BE.NET has a blog import tool, but I don't know if this imports existing users as well. I've never used it.

2. Creating new users dynamically requires custom programming/scripting, since BE.NET by default supports the admin interface to add users manually.

Have you checked out these three resources that might help you?

Using AspNetSqlMembershipProvider with BlogEngine.NET
Alternative membership providers
SQL membership and role provider

Sorry for the delayed response, silly how I've missed a thread topic starting with my first name ;-)
You might get better answers from BE.NET developers though.

Good luck and could you keep us posted please?

Cheers,
Mike
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2008 at 1:13 PM
Sorry I haven't been more active on these forums. Things are hectic.

There is no default way to import users or dynamically create users in BlogEngine.NET, but from the questions you are asking I strongly recommend using the SQL Membership provider. You can then create functionality that will load users in your SQL membership provider outside of the base BlogEngine software with the role you desire (and still update BE with future versions without dealing with custom updates.)