This project is read-only.

BE / Mono - Empty Extensions Tab

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:50 AM

I've deployed a few instances of BE on Ubuntu Linux under Mono.  I was on Mono 2.2, but upgraded to 2.6, but the issue still persists.  The issue is that when I go to the "Extensions" tab under the admin area, there's nothing there; the admin header is still there, but there is no content on the page.  I don't see any errors in the logs (though I'm not convinced I'm looking in the right place), but I suspect that this may have something to do with certain files needing to be marked as executable.  However, searching for this, the only requirement is for read/write access to App_Data.

It was my understanding that BE came with a few extensions; if the page is empty because it didn't, that's good to know too.  :)

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:55 AM

This has been resolved - somewhat.  There seem to be several parts of the code where URLs and paths are searched in a case-insensitive manner (/Bin vs. /bin, /api/BlogImporter.asmx vs. /api/blogimporter.asmx).  In both these cases, the former was what was on the filesystem, and the latter was what the code was looking for.  (The blog importer is still giving me fits, but that's a topic for another post, I suppose.)  I symlinked bin to Bin, so either will work now.

Is there someone on the team who is still ensuring Mono compatibility?  I'd be happy to help with testing if that help was needed.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM
Hey Daniel, that would be great to have another Linux expert to watch over those pesky little differences between .net and mono. If you do a fork with Linux related fixes we can integrate it with a trunk. Let me know if you need any help doing it or have another idea.
Jul 31, 2010 at 6:21 AM

Had tried running under Mono + Mac OS X + BE few months ago for fast testing. If I remember correctly worked flawlessly.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I threw BE 1.6.1 on a default install of Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS (which uses Mono 2.4.4) and experienced similar issues to what Daniel reported. I was not using iOMap so I had to symlink Bin to bin, and there was a similar issue with BlogRoll.aspx and Blogroll.aspx. I'll be glad to report other compatibility issues as I run across them.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I'll take a look at the blogroll thing - I don't remember doing anything to that.  I have had a couple of pull requests accepted, but AFAIK, the "Bin" thing is done automatically by VS 10.  I did create a Mono setup shell script that will create the symlink, as well as setting the permissions on App_Data properly, and I think that's been pulled too (although my memory isn't 100% on that - if it hasn't been pulled, you can look at my mono4be fork).