Image alt text

Topics: Controls
Aug 1, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Is it possible to specify alt text when you upload an image? Currently I have to remember to edit it manually in HTML. But now I have other users posting entries and it would be nice if they had a text box to add the alt text when the image is specified and uploaded.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Kahle

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:00 AM

After the image has been uploaded, while you still have the WYSIWYG open with the image in it, right-click on the image and select "Insert/edit image".  What you put in the "Image description" field will go into the ALT attribute.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Thanks for the response. I will have to tell them to add the image description as you described. I was just simply inserting text it in the HTML. What I am trying to do, is make it idiot proof for other users. Also, I found that the image wasn’t working with syndicated feeds and cross posts. I was able to alter the code for image URL in the Add_entry.aspx.cs file so that it is the complete absolute URL reference. Now when I upload an image, it automatically inserts before {0}image.axd?picture={1}\" alt=\"\" />. This way, I can’t forget to go back and manually edit the HTML. Sometimes I would post my entry, and then remember that I didn’t change the image URL and my feed was already syndicated and pinged to many different places. I was hoping we could have a fool proof way of inserting alt text as well. Especially when I hire various blog writers. For now, I will just tell them to do it manually. Another idea I had was possibly being able to approve blog entries before posting them. Perhaps there is a way to let other users to write drafts and the administrator can approve and post them similar to the way comments are handled. Just tossing some ideas around, Scott Kahle