Shared Hosting

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Does BlogEngine work on a Shared Hosting environment?
Feb 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 1:14 PM
Hi there, running BE.NET well on a shared host depends on which provider.

You can read some horror stories about BE.NET and 1&1 Hosting, webhost4life and Host Department.
Lots of BE.NET bloggers use GoDaddy, like myself and needed a modified version to run smoothly.

You'll find this fine-tuned version and more details on my article here

Good luck and let us know if there's anything we can help you with!

Cheers Mike
Mar 12, 2008 at 2:56 AM
Edited Mar 12, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Just to add a little to this:
I use m6.net as my host (I actually had 1and1/IXWeb Hosting for a WHILE and canned them for performance issues unrelated to BE.net). m6.net, like many shared hosting companies, supplies you with an MSSQL db on a shared server as well. this means, to your code, that your queries MUST include your db login name.

for example:
if your username is JACKJACK, a sql statement would be "select * from JACKJACK.tableName". The standard query, "select * from tableName" will fail, because the default owner of your hosted database, dbo, doesn't exist in this context.

how do you get around this? I think you must start with the BE.net source code and add your username to all queries (like JACKJACK.tableName) then recompile the project.

I would LOVE to hear any contradictions - I had to switch to using XML provider for the blog, membership and roles, which REALLY bummed me out, since I was already using the SqlDataProvider for membership elsewhere in my site.

for the record, though, the XML-based be.net works like a charm.