This project is read-only.

Unable to get to initial installation

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM
I had a demo blog installed and working but had to do a reinstall as I reconfigured the website. I now have the webfiles under a subdirectory and point to this directory using the domain manager at the host (1and1). The site works fine. /u37983723/marketaccess/ The TLD is I then installed the blog files into a subdirectory of the "main" directory: /u37983723/marketaccess/blog Created an application for this subdirectory, allowed write access to the /u37983723/marketaccess/blog/App_Data directory. Then when I go to I get this message: Server Error in '/' Application. The resource cannot be found. Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. Requested URL: /blog/default.aspx I can't think of anything I did differently this time around. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks, Andrew
Aug 13, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Hi, Just done my very first BlogEngine.Net install. On localhost all went fine, but putting up onto shared hosting, I got one error after another. But it was ALL me being stupid. Andrew, you've listed the immediate things I thought of - application, write access etc. Why don't you replace the custom errors to see what you're getting <customErrors mode="Off"/> But I bet you're FTP'ed up the files to the sub-dir and you've forgotten to set Read permissions on all, hence you can't access them. Exactly what I did. It's worth the wait. What an impressive piece of software. cheers John
Aug 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM


Yes, FTP'd everything but had taken off Read-Only to all files before uploading - checked and all files have Read and Read and Execute checked...   It's funny as I did a full installation almost exactly the same but it wasn't in a sub folder of a "virtual" folder so maybe that's it.

Thanks for suggestion.