Enabling AkismetFilter has killed my blog

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I'm using the latest version of Blogengine. I attempted to switch the AkismetFilter on via admin and I now get a Service unavailable message and a stack overflow exception thrown.

Whatever the problem may be it is in the database as I replaced the code with a local version I had backed up and pointed it at a dev database and all worked fine. I pointed the same code at my remote database and it falls over.

So, the question is what does this attempt to do with the database and can I undo it? My host wants £100 to roll the database back, so I may have to start again if I can't undo whatever is broken.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Why don't you try to ftp in the website and delete the extension ?

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Wasn't aware you could do that... I'm still quite new to this.

I commented the code for the extension in question and the type pad filter extension which was dependent on it but I still have the error.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I had a similar problem with an extension and DISABLING it didn't work for some reason.

Deleting directly the files/folders did solve my problem.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Edited Aug 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Is there a way to disable plugins from code? I can't get into the admin area as the site won't compile at the moment.

EDIT: I reverted to an alternative database and will try and restore it myself. Thanks for all the help.