Need a primer

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I'm new to blogging and would like some basic terminology defined.

What is the difference between "Blog(weblog)", "Page", "Post", "Entry", "Comments"?

This is my stab at it.  Please tell me where I go off-base.

Blog - The application, only one per installation, contains many Pages.

Page - Like an article or thesis, written by the blog's author, contains many Posts.

Post - not sure what this is, contains many Entries.

Entry - not sure what this is, contains many Comments.

Comments - I think this is what readers write at the bottom of the articles.

Please help clarify this.

Thanks,
Dogulas

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM

(Don't know why the formatting is jacked up in this - I think my network may be blocking something that's needed to format it correctly. I'll try to fix it from home this evening.  Update - fixed.)

Blog = collection of pages, posts, and comments. BE currently supports one blog per installation, though running multiple blogs with one instance is in the plans/works.

Page = Independent, non-chronological content (ex. "About This Blog" rarely changes, and is always timely) Ex. http://djs-consulting.com/page/liberty-pundits.aspx BE has a "page list" widget and control that will automatically list the pages in a blog, so you don't have to add in a link when you add a new page.

Post = Entry = chronological content, with each entry usually addressing one issue. Ex. the front page at http://techblog.djs-consulting.com has 10 posts. Most blogs have a list of recent posts as their front page. Comments = user or author comments on a particular post.

HTH

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM

danielsummers,

Thanks very much for clearing that up.  Don't worry too much about my formatting, I originally wrote it in another text editor then pasted it here.  I had double spaced the lines which looked much better in the other editor.

I wanted to use the BE to publish a series of un-related articles.  I was hoping to allow comments for feedback.  Should I put these articles in Pages since they won't be chronologically related?  If I do, will that prevent readers from leaving comments?  Should I put the articles in Posts, even though they aren't related?  If so, how would the user navigate directly to a specific post?

Are Posts and Pages peers to each other?  Can you have only Posts or only Pages?  Can you attach a Post to the bottom of a Page?

Thanks again for your help,

Dogulas

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Oh yeah - it was the network.  (Here is not the place to tell the tales of the horrors of our network...)

By chronological, I didn't mean necessarily that the content is related.  You can check out page 2 of my tech blog to see the varied topics that are covered in those blog posts; some xine releases, WordPress plug-ins, PHP scripts, and SQL algorithms all appear in the same space.  Each of these used to be the top post on the front page; as new items were posted, they were pushed down, then off the front page.  (I was going to use the front page as an example, but I've been rather monotonous lately; xine, SQL Developer, xine, xine, SQL Developer... heh...)  It sounds like blog posts are exactly what you want.  I don't believe that BE supports commenting on pages.

Posts and pages can be thought of as peers.  Generally, pages will contain information that will not change frequently, and are often linked from every page in the blog via a header, sidebar, or footer link.  Posts are entries that are the "latest" thing you have to say at the time they're posted.  There are ways to organize your content within posts; you can apply one or more categories to each post, and tag it with one or more tags.  Categories are larger groupings, and you'll generally have one to three per post (though some use more).  Tags are more narrow, and a decent-sized post could easily have 15-20 tags.  I don't have tags on my tech blog, but my devotion blog, which just went live on BE about 2 hours ago, does; you can see the breakdowns I use between categories and tags there.

You can certainly link to posts from a page, and link to pages within a post - just create a link like you're linking to any other site.  You can leave off the "http://my.domain.name" part and just link to something like "/page/My-Cool-Page.aspx" or "/post/Yesterdays-News.aspx".

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

danielsummers,

Wow, thanks!  This has been just what the doctor ordered.  I certainly had some mis-understandings when I started.

I'm thinking about putting my article in a Page, and at the bottom of the page have a link to a special Post that will house discussions about the article.

Thanks again,

Dogulas

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Update:

If you are interested in how it turned out, you can see it at http://www.accipitersoftware.com/blogengine/.

I plan to gut and re-work the parent website, so I can't guarantee how long the link will work.

Thanks again,

Dogulas