Phot Gallery Options

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2008 at 8:14 PM
I've tried several options for photo galleries. I really like the user control created here http://www.tumelty.com/blog/post/2008/02/BlogEngineNet-Gallery-User-Control---Version-10-Released.aspx. But I've had issues with the layout and the image opeing too large.

The other control i'm using is AlbumOnTheNet (http://www.axezz.com/albumonnet/index.aspx) This has some really nice features and very customizable.

I really wanted to know if there is any way to use this the AlbumOnNet control within a Page or blog post? Or can I use and IFrame some how within a post/page to hold my existing gallery pages?
You can see smaples of how this control displayes here: http://dmckeever.dyndns.org:8080/default.aspx
Feb 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Hi, I built the Gallery User Control (tumelty.com), what problems have you been having, I might be able to help.

Paul
Feb 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2008 at 11:24 PM
If you are meaning the bit where the image opens up with the lightbox extension, this is something that cannot be controlled from the user control.

The best workaround I've found is to resize your images to 800x600 ish and that way they will open up fully on most screens. As far as I can see, the lightbox plugin opens up the image full size and does not attempt to scale to fit the screen :(

Paul.
Feb 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM
You can use something called User Control Injection. It is a feature of BlogEngine that lets you insert the content of a user control into a page or post.

The syntax is like this:

usercontrol:~/User Controls/mycontrol.ascx

I am not 100% sure about all of the parameters and such and how you can pass those, you may have to play with it a bit, because the documentation is a bit thin for this feature.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM
Edited Feb 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM
Bah, stupid codeplex

The syntax is really:

{usercontrol:~/User Controls/mycontrol.ascx}

(replacing the '{' char with '[' and '}' with it's ending counterpart)
Feb 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM
That is exactly the problem i'm having. I really like the Gallery control. Very smooth and clean. I love the options of it being used in a Post or Page.

Resizing the images really isn't a solution for me. Since i'm using a home server, I have a Virtual Directory pointing to the storage location of the images. To resizewould loose some quality of the original.

I will use your control when I take just a few pictures, but as you can see from the ones I posted, most are large galleries of photos. Paging within your control would be nice. Say number of columns, and number of Rows properties, that way it may create a few pages of picutres, when a large gallery is needed.

I guess based on jwendl's idea, i'll have to create my own user control embedding the AlbumOnTheNet within that

ptumelty wrote:
If you are meaning the bit where the image opens up with the lightbox extension, this is something that cannot be controlled from the user control.

Paul.