Exceptions from Requests with Querystring "feed=rss2"

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Hello,

I'm getting several exceptions per day generated from requests with a querystring of "feed=rss2" and an HTTP_USER_AGENT of "WordPress MU Feed Client".

I can debug into BE and stop the pager throwing this exception by checking if _Posts is null before executing line 90 of ...Controls\PostPager.cs. (But that seems a workaround, not a fix.)

Has anyone else experienced exceptions generated by this client? Any idea what it is or why it is appending this querystring to requests? Just wary of bots, spammers, and exploits.

Easy enough to re-create, just add "?feed=rss2" to any BE URL.

Thanks for your help!

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Regarding the exceptions, I'm not sure what's going on.

However, WordPress uses that format to specify a format for feeds.  Likely, there is a blog that has been set up and is trying to get your RSS feed for some automated purpose.  This could be benign, such as a blog where you're in their blogroll, and they want to list the titles to your last "x" posts (similar to what the BE blogroll does).  It could also be a site that wants to scrape and republish your material.  At any rate, it doesn't seem to be working for them.  Can you tell the IP of the request?  If you do a reverse DNS on that, you can tell whether it's a wordpress.com server or someone else who is running WordPress MU.  (WordPress and WordPress MU are supposed to be merging soon, but I don't think that's happened yet.)

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Do you mean this post pager control?  If so, that control is not included with BE.  It could be a glitch with that control that needs to be fixed.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Maybe it came along with an older version? Or... maybe I added it to the solution myself on one of those late late nights. :$

A simple guard condition resolved, in case anyone else comes along with the same question.

Thanks for the response, and great job with BE!