Include dynamic news feed in non-Blogengine page

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Hi everyone. I have Blogengine up and running smoothly now. The next thing I want to do is pull out the posts and feed them as a dynamic news feed source into my main/non-Blogengine web page.

I am doing this right now with Wordpress (php) into my aspx pages, but by way of an iframe include with a little script pulling out only the portions of the Wordpress posts I want to display (i.e. either the full text of a post for a front page update, or truncated 'read more' clips of several posts in a news headline feed). Obviously using an iframe as the include adds some awkward aspects I'd like to get away from.

Here's a couple examples of what I'm trying to do: http://www.dahoudek.com/  The "Deb's Updates" part is an iframe include pulling full posts from a single Wordpress category. And on this site: http://www.whpattersonjr.com/  The "Bill's Blog" part is a posting list from a Wordpress category but with the posts truncated to show only the 'excerpt' or 'description' with a 'continue reading' link to the full post.

Has any one done this with Blogengine? And could you give me any tips or ideas how to go about it?

Thanks!

Deb

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I would probably make use of your BE's RSS feed by reading your BE RSS feed from the non-BE website, and displaying those posts on the site.

There's several ways to do this.  It could be server-side code on the non-BE website that reads the RSS feed and outputs the items on the page.  Or it could be a JavaScript/AJAX solution that does the same thing.  Or I think there are 3rd party solutions that accomplish this too.  The one I have in mind which I saw someone use once was Feedburner.  I think they might offer something where you can add some JavaScript (JS) to your site (non-BE website) that will read your BE RSS feed and output those items onto the page.  Probably there's other 3rd party solutions like this too.