Noob trying to set it up...looks like 1and1 is the issue

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM
Edited Sep 16, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Okay, so I'm trying to get BlogEngine.NET all set up and I feel like I've done everything I am supposed to do.  I am installing on a hosted server:  (1) have uploaded the files to a new sub-folder (called /blog), (2) made that folder an application (the /blog directory), (3) opened up permissions for all files in the App_Data folder and still I get the dreaded "HTTP 404" message.  FYI, I am on 1and1 for hosting and they say that the .NET version is in fact 2.0.  What am I doing wrong here?  I am not super tech-savvy when it comes to this type of thing, so please bear with me.  URL to the blog folder is:  www.graphixcalc.com/blog

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /blog/default.aspx

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM
Edited Sep 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM

In trying to solve this, I deleted the directory, created a new one and re-uploaded the files.  Now, I am getting, "An unknown error has occured." with 1and1 when trying to set the Application Directory (even though I am positive that I had set it up before and confirmed it with the 1and 1 control panel).  I have contacted support to find out what the issue might be.  However, I get the exact same error 404 in either case, so it seems the Application may have never been working correctly in either case (no idea why that would be).

UPDATE:  I renamed the folder to /blogs and got the Application to take, so the full path is:  www.graphixcalc.com/blogs but if I rename to /blog, it craps out every time...why?  Either way, though, I am still getting the 404 error page.

As this appears to be some sort of a permissions issue, do any other files/folders need to have any permission set other than READ?  A quick spot check on some files shows that everything but the App_Data folder are set to READ...is that okay?

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Yes, all the files and folders should at least have Read permissions.  Only the App_Data folder needs Write permissions.

I'm not sure what's causing the 404 on your site like that.  I can see that a static non-ASPX page can be pulled up -- your robots.txt file for example.

It could be something related specifically to BE, or a more general problem running ASPX pages on your site.  Do you have any ASPX pages anywhere on your site that are working?  If you want, you can try pasting the contents below into a new ASPX page (e.g. test.aspx) and try putting it in the website root and pulling it up, and also try putting it in the /blogs folder and pulling it up.  I would expect this page to at least run in the root of your website.

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
<html>
	<head runat="server">
		<title>page title</title>
	</head>
	<body>
		This is the body.
	</body>
</html>

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2010 at 4:43 PM
BenAmada wrote:

Yes, all the files and folders should at least have Read permissions.  Only the App_Data folder needs Write permissions.

I'm not sure what's causing the 404 on your site like that.  I can see that a static non-ASPX page can be pulled up -- your robots.txt file for example.

It could be something related specifically to BE, or a more general problem running ASPX pages on your site.  Do you have any ASPX pages anywhere on your site that are working?  If you want, you can try pasting the contents below into a new ASPX page (e.g. test.aspx) and try putting it in the website root and pulling it up, and also try putting it in the /blogs folder and pulling it up.  I would expect this page to at least run in the root of your website.

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
<html>
	<head runat="server">
		<title>page title</title>
	</head>
	<body>
		This is the body.
	</body>
</html>

Something is hosed with THIS site, I just replied to this post several times and it keeps saying, "A message is required" - well no duh it is.

Anyway, after reviewing some other threads on this subject, it appears that my hosting service, 1and1, may in fact be the culprit.  The solution looked to be a marginally acceptable PITA, so for now, I'm not going to pursue it any further.  Too bad, BlogEngine looks like a nice bit of software.