integrating into visual studio project

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Hi,

I'm coding a new website in vwd 2008 express. I want to have a page which incorporates blogengine, but I'm not sure how to do that. Are the steps detailed anywhere? I don't need to modify the blogengine.net code itself - just provide the functionality on a page in my website. I was hoping that there was a control I could just register and drop on my page but apparently is isn't that simple. I'm developing on a windows xp, iis5.1 machine. I think the process is along the lines of installing blogengine.net, creating a  virtual directory,and then somehow telling visual studio about it. If anyone can provide more detail for me I would appreciate it.

thanks.

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM

For starters, your plan sounds about right .... install BE, or unzip it into a directory and make that directory a virtual directory in IIS.

From VWD, you can do File -> Open Web Site, and point to the main root directory that contains the global.asax and web.config files.  At that point, if you tried running the project (F5), it would probably use VWD's built-in web server instead of IIS to launch BE.  You can tell VWD to use IIS instead, if you prefer.

You said that you want to have "a page which incorporates blogengine".  There's the default.aspx page in BE that displays the recent blog posts.  There's other pages in BE that provide other functionality.  The admin area, for example, allows you to create/edit posts which you might need if you want to create blog posts.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Thank you for the quick reply - as soon as I get in to work I'll give this a whirl. Thanks for the info.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM

ok, I have unzipped the files into a folder named D:\BlogEngine, and created a virtual directory with alias = "BlogEngine" pointing to that folder. Now I want to open up my visual studio project for MY website, and tell it where to find the blogengine project.  I don't really want to open up the BlogEngine project - do I? I'm not changing anything in there. I just want to "call" it from my own project.  Where do I go from here?

thx

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Just get BlogEngine.Core.dlll from distribution package (go to downloads tab and grab latest web project, 1.6.1). Drop that DLL into your site's bin folder and then add a reference - you should be able to call core functions.

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I think I get the basics now.  Now that my BlogEngine runs at localhost:8080\blogengine, all I do is create a link from my website to this url.  I tried this and it works. Not sure why I didn't understand that until now - it's pretty simple! Anyway, 2 more questions. 

1) When it comes time for me to deploy my new website, I will just do the same thing on the web server that I did locally, right? That is, create a folder named BlogEngine, unzip the files into it, go into IIS and create a virtual directory for it, give permissions to aspnet on the App_Data folder, and then use that url behind the link on my webpage.

2) How do logins work? We haven't even ironed out the membership to our new website yet, but I will have a list of members who can log in - and I'm assuming that a subset of these members will be allowed to create entries in the blog.

thanks.