Live Writer capability detection

Topics: Controls
Oct 4, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Does anyone have any ideas about the new Windows Live Writer capabilities detection?

I've been using live writer to update blogengine, but the new version WLW 2011 is not detecting all of the capabilities... specifically Lightbox 2 (which I use).
Is there a way to facilitate the WLW detection so that it picks up the lightbox capability?

I've tried both the lightbox extension as well as the Prettyphoto extension.  Lightbox is enabled and is working on the site, but WLW is not picking it up.
Any ideas?

Thanks for any assistance!
John

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I don't really have the WLW qualifications, but generally the capabilities are picked up from the wlwmanifest.xml file in the root of your blog.

Does WLW have a special or dedicated capability for Lightbox?  Or are you just hoping that WLW will detect the Lightbox JS reference in your theme?

If there's some dedicated capability that WLW has for Lightbox, then maybe there's a setting you could add to the wlwmanifest.xml file.  But if you're just thinking that WLW should or could detect the Lightbox JS in your theme, I'm not sure if WLW is that advanced.  Lightbox is JavaScript based, and I don't think (but could be wrong) that WLW runs JavaScript within its editor window.  If this is correct, then you wouldn't be able to have the Lightbox effect within WLW.

If there's certain attributes that you need to add to an image or link, such as rel="lightbox", you can still do that within WLW, but you might not actually see the Lightbox effect until after you published or save a draft to your blog.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Ben..
I'm not sure, but am doing more research...

Basically, the old version of WLW picked up that Lightbox was active / installed on Blogengine. I enabled Lightbox on the blog using the WRGPrettyPhoto extension (checkbox in the extension). I know lightbox wasn't referenced in the manifest, but WLW was able to dectect that lightbox was enabled. The new version of WLW doesn't pick up the capability when it does the detection. I know it's probably a Microsoft issue (they probably changed something in the new WLW), but I thought it might be worth checking here to see if anyone else might have run across the same issue and maybe had some further insight.  It could be that something needs to be added to the manifest, but I haven't found any info about what (if anything) needs to be added...

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this issue.  I have the exact same issue but cannot find a solution

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Edited Jan 14, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Just to touch base on this...
The basic lightbox functionality of WLW does work on the posts, but not on pages. I ended up having to modify each post to get it to display the way I wanted and is not very elegant. I never really got it working the way I wanted with BT 1.6 and WLW 2011...

---------------

Adding more info...

After upgrading to BE2.0, I added the LightBox extension (making changes to the namespace as required). I re-queried the blog capabilities with Windows Live Writer 2011 and the Lightbox functionality now works in pages and in posts.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Anyone found solution to this problem i'm still having the same exact problem !!!