Newsletter features..

Topics: Themes
Oct 11, 2010 at 5:48 AM
Edited Oct 11, 2010 at 5:49 AM

HI there,

Just curious, are there plans to improve the functionality of the Newsletter widget? Compared to the rest of the blog widgets it's very basic and open to abuse. I was wondering if anyone has written an opt in type function where people have to confire that they want to recieve the newsletter, and by the same token an opt out function so if some one gets signed up in error they can remove themselves without having to send me a complaint email.

Many Thanks,

Neil

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 8:37 AM

A person can unsubscribe from the newsletter by entering their email address into the widget again.  I think in that case, the message will actually tell them they are unsubscribed too.  Although I realize most people might not realize they can do this.  You can test it out by checking the newsletter XML file while entering your same email address a few times.

But yes, I think you're right ... there's a lot of room for improvement with that widget.  It's a good start, but could really be improved in many ways.  I'm not aware of any current plans to enhance the widget.  It's possible there exists an improved Newsletter widget someone has created and made available on their site.

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick response and info....it works just as you said, so I changed the wording on in the text box so user know to enter their email again to be removed.

Another quick question, and a wierd one, well to me anyway  :-).

I changed the wording that goes in the email sent to correct a typo in the file "widgets/newsletter/widget.ascx.cs" but once I made the change and saved it 2 emails are sent to anyone who has signed up, one is the original test with the typo, and the other is the corrected one.

So I replaced the file with the original one thinking this would fix the problem of the multiple emails being sent, but now I get 3 message sent out per person! So every time I change "widget.ascx.cs" I add another copy of the message!

I am guessing that "widget.ascx.cs" must get merged into another file every time it's updated, but I can't find this file....any thoughts..?

Regards,

Neil

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM

That's interesting.  Probably the old file still is subscribed to handling the post Saving event.  The file gets compiled into a temporary directory and would normally disappear, but is probably still involved.

After making physical changes to the widget.ascx.cs file I would re-start the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).  That will clear this type of subscriptions, handles, etc from memory.

The memory will clear out by itself if the blog is inactive for a while, or the application pool recycles, etc.  So it's possible the next time you check, it may be back to normal anyways.  But in the future, making that change to the web.config file right after modifying widget.ascx.cs should fix the situation.

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Hi Ben,

That did the trick! I found that if I deleted the Web.Config file and then reuploaded it after I had done any modifications to the Newsletter Widget everything behaved.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Neil