Captcha and webconfig prob in 1.6.1

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Oct 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I have upgraded to Blog Engine 1.6.1 .I tried to add Captcha and when i try to enable Captcha extension and it shows error where is seems to write something to web.config.

What is that string...kindly help.. Is it possible to add that piece of node manually ?

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM

When extensions are enabled and disabled, they do not actually become enabled or disabled until the blog application restarts.  The Extensions tab does this by updating the timestamp on the web.config file (when the web.config file is touched in anyway, the blog application restarts).  If Write permissions aren't available for the root folder, then you'll get this error you're seeing.  Except for this one case, normally Write permissions aren't needed for the root folder -- they're only needed for just the App_Data folder (if you're using the default XML storage option).

You can manually make a simple change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).  When you do this, it'll restart the blog application, and any extensions you enabled or disabled should be in effect.