Feed will not validate due to Author tag

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:32 AM

My feed will not update automatically, so I have to manually ping the server to get it to update. Feedburner states this is because my feed is not validating.  When checking feedvalidator, I get "Invalid email address: jmxxxxxx" in the line <author>jmxxxxxx</author>.  It appears to be entering my username as the author. 

One fix I read, is that I could use dc:creator instead of author in the syndication.axd file.  Is there a way to replace the generation of the <author> tag with the <dc:creator> tag? 

Any other ideas to fix this? I'd really rather not have my email address generated in the feed.

Thanks,

Mike

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM

We have to use email instead of author name to pass validation. I just tested it with my local build and it works fine, but we probably need to add an option to remove author tag all together, some would not want to include email in the feed, even if its not real email. I will push email fix with next commit but we might hold a little on that options to exclude author tag.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I remember back in BE 1.4.5, email was in the <author> tag, and it was a fake email address:

AuthorName.nospam@nospam.com.

Here it is (from 1.4.5).

writer.WriteElementString("author", BlogSettings.Instance.Email.Replace("@",
".nospam@nospam.") + " (" + publishable.Author + ")");

Many people complained about this.  Here was one of the threads.  I think most people would prefer their actual email address not appear in the feed.

If the <author> tag is optional, then it might be best to omit it completely.  Otherwise, we might make it an option I suppose, with the default being just the author's name (no email address).  The fake "nospam" email address is probably the worst option!

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Thanks rtur.  Either way would be fine, I think.

Ben: That makes sense. I think the field that's placed in the author tag is the actual userid/login name. I changed the "Name" field to an email address, and it still failed, because it picks up the login name instead.

Would either of you think it would make sense to give the option of using either author or dc:creator to generate the feed?  If there were a way to put that in options, I would certainly use the dc:creator tag, as the validator accepts the the use of the creator tag in place of the author tag, and it can be anything.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Oh, I see. I guess, best would be to add optional "email" field to feed settings along with "author" - that is, "dc:creator" in RSS item. A little confusing with naming mismatches but this should work for everyone. I'll do this change for next check in.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM

Thanks!  This appears to be the only reason that it's not updating the feed automatically.  You guys are great!