This project is read-only.

Login fail - call to users.xml

Topics: Controls
Nov 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Hello all - I fished around for a solution, but couldn't find one. My terminology is less than fluent.

I loaded up the 1.6.1 version over the earlier version offered through Network Solutions (can't tell you the prior version right now because NS can't complete my request), as my earlier version gave an error page when trying to post comments. The new version did not recognize my usernames and passwords. I updated the /App_Data/users.xml file with my original list, but still can't log in.

Am I coding up the wrong tree? Where does 1.6.1 store the username list?

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM

If you manually modify files in the App_Data folder, you'll need to restart the blog for those manual changes to be detected.  It can be restarted by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).

Another possibility is that your blog is storing data in a DB.  In that case, the usernames would be stored in the be_Users table.

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Thanks BenAmada. I tried restarting with an updated web.config. No luck. Searched for password references in the code, and tried the admin/admin default codes. Still unable to log on.

I then deleting the entire blog through Network Solutions, reinstalling it through their Open Source Applications list (version 1.1). I ended back on the /blog server error page that initially sent me on this goose chase. I added the customErrors mode="OFF" code as instructed, same error page.

Removed the blog via FTP and installed 1.6.1 in to an empty /blog/ folder. All good from there, figured out where to insert my backed up posts, reconfigured what needed to be reconfigured, and I'm back to a functional blog.

I still don't know what created the initial error call - first it was when anyone tried to post a comment, then when anyone tried to visit the blog, even after the NS repair and reinstall.