Nov 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I have been wondering for awhile which is better?

BlogEngine by default has XML for the Database just wondering why people switch to

the SQL for the database?

When comparing the two databases how are they the same and how are they different?

How do they both perform in these areas:

1. Performance

2. Page Loading Speeds

3. Security Issues

4. Number of Visitors "Hits"

5. Ease of use to Update and Create new content or features

6. Installation on Web Server

When is it best to use XML vs SQL and when its it best not to use it?

If there is a Hybrid solution would this improve the issues above? 

Have XML for some things and then SQL for other things?

I have been trying to figure out this issue. When searching the net it seems like lots of people favor SQL over XML and I think that they

might be bias about it preferring it over xml because they know how to use it and etc.

Would like Just the facts and not a bias review either way on  XML vs SQL

I am personally in favor of XML and I would give bias answers to the above issues.

This is why I am asking it here. 

Brian Davis

Java Blog

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:26 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2010 at 6:31 AM

I guess I don't understand why you're in favor of XML.  About the only advantage that you can possibly have from XML is that it doesn't require a database, which typically costs money.

I really can't see any other advantages of XML.  Everything that can be done with storing the files on the hard drive can be accomplished via a relational DB, and generally magnitudes of times faster.

EDIT: I suppose if you're unfamiliar with databases and SQL, you could argue that using a database adds additional complexity. But the same can be said about XML (permissions, etc).