Why is there no Free BlogEngine Hosting?

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Hello All,

I have been searching the internet for hours looking for free "Asp.net" and "BlogEngine" hosting and only can find two

somee and aspspider

While I was on the quest looking for free asp.net hosting I notice that WordPress and other PHP based and some DotNetNuke hosting out there but no "BlogEngine" hosting.

I am wondering why?

I also found that I am not the only one looking, I found forums of other people also looking for free "BlogEngine" hosting so there is a need out there for it but why is no one offering it?

If I had the money I would host "Free BlogEngine Hosting" for people to host their sites on it with Google ad sense ads.

For anybody out there that does have some spare change out there offering a free BlogEngine hosting would generate you at least enough money to

cover most or all of the server expenses.

There are only 2 other sites out there that offers asp.net hosting for free but and zero Just "BlogEngine" hosting so there will be almost no completion you will get lots of sign-ups.   

If anybody out there is interested in offering "Free BlogEngine Hosting" and need help with the website design and staffing I will help out with exchange for free hosting.  

At the moment I am completely broke and unemployed so I do not have the money to do this but, if I did I would provide this service.

I think this would also help spread the use of BlogEngine and there would be a greater need for it if there were free hosting for it.

Thanks,

Brian Davis

Java Blog

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I think that you won't find too many free .ASP/.NET/Windows Hosting packages out there due to the licensing requirements to run a Windows server where as PHP hosting doesn't cost anything except the box it's on and bandwidth.

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Mono costs just as much as PHP...  :)

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Mono costs just as much as PHP...  :)

You mean run BlogEngine using Mono on a PHP server?   Not sure what Mono is :)

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Well, not so much "Mono on a PHP server" but "Mono in a similar way as PHP."  PHP is generally implemented in one of two ways (under Linux) - using Apache with a PHP module (mod_php), or as a FastCGI executable, where requests are send via a local port.  Mono is the open-source implementation of the .NET framework (commercially supported by Novell), and also has an Apache module and a FastCGI executable.  So, the costs of Mono and PHP are the same.  On two of my Ubuntu-based servers, I'm running both PHP and Mono, using FastCGI behind nginx.  This lets me run both WordPress and BlogEngine.NET on the same machine.  I also have a web service running under Mono, though it's about to be turned off because the timeframe for which it was written has passed.

Now, that being said, you may have about as much luck finding a free host that has Mono as you have with your other queries.  PHP is very light-weight from a server resource perspective; Mono uses more resources, likely because of cached JIT'd code.  However, PHP doesn't cache intermediate code, so it interprets the request each time.  My previous low-cost ISP (Lunarpages, $4.95/mo) didn't support Mono because of this.  Now that I run my own, I can put whatever I want on them.  :)  I have seen the higher resource usage since I've been running Mono.

While I'm sharing my experience - with both PHP and Mono FastCGI executables running, my BlogEngine.NET installs seem to send Mono into a pretty tight loop at some point; this isn't an issue when the PHP executable isn't running.  I've implemented a restart of the FastCGI server every 6 hours, which keeps things tidy.  Not the best solution, but it works.

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I will soon be offering free hosting for blogengine.net. You can email me at "dm @ consultationdmsoft (.) com" if you want more information.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM

À propos aspSpider, it seems to be defuct. Nobody answers support question and they still on MS SQL 2005.  It's a pity because, as far as I know, it's the only free ASP.NET ASP.NET hosting in town. I think Microsoft is one of the sponsors (if not the instigator).

There should be free ASP.NET hosting available, If ASP.NET is to remain major web development platform.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:59 PM

"If ASP.NET is to remain major web development platform."...

think never was...

Anyway, great BE and thanks.

I think asp.net webforms will lost developers - already are - for asp.net mvc and php, so...not sure about the future for BE if dont move to MVC, soon than later.

cheers

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM
dmichaud80 wrote:

I will soon be offering free hosting for blogengine.net. You can email me at "dm @ consultationdmsoft (.) com" if you want more information.

I sent you an email and a DM you can contact me at kbdavis07@yahoo.com

I am very interested in free BlogEngine web hosting.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Free BlogEngine.Net Hosting