blog post pages not getting indexed by google

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I am interested to find out why my blog post pages are not getting indexed by google.  In the last week I have published five articles.  I have added the site to the robots file by uncommenting and renaming what was there previously.  I have also submitted the sitemap to google and pinged the pages several times.

I see that the tag and category pages are the only ones that appear in google.  The article pages are no where to be seen. 

Am I missing something?  Is this something that just takes more time?  I guess I was expecting the posts to be indexed much faster.

Thanks.  Any help is very much appreciated.

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM

If your site isn't very popular, indexing takes time. You might want to give it a few weeks.  

If google determines your site is important, it will greatly speed up the indexing process. I also suggest going to and submitting your sitemap through here. If google finds any issues indexing your site, it will also let you know on that site.

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Thanks for the response.  I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing incorrectly or not doing. 

As far as site importance to google, does it make a difference if you create the blog using a subdomain (ex. vs a folder (ex. for an existing site? 

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM

The sub-domain thing shouldn't be an issue.  If you have a million visitors going to your page, I doubt google will care at all what the URL is :)

However, if you have an extremely popular domain name, and you create a subdomain off of that, google might not view that as being as important as your main domain.  But I'm not a google expert, so keep that in mind.

Also, I do believe that the site will let you know if there is some obvious factors keeping your page from being relevant.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Something still doesn't seem right.  I see that the tag pages are getting indexed.  In fact I see that the latest article I submitted yesterday was indexed but only for the tag page (ex. <cite>  </cite>

Why wouldn't the article page get indexed? 

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM

What is the website url?

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM

The website url is

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM

ftc -

I'd give google more time.  I see that google has some stuff in its index about your tags and authors, but not yet the actual posts. I looked at your robots.txt file, and everything seems to be fine.

Also, from my personal experience, I have seen google index the tags on my page before the posts.  My theory on this is that google sees the "tags" link on more pages than the actual post link, so it believes that it is more important to index the tags than it is to index the actual post.

One other thing to keep in mind... google will believe your site is more important if it is linked to from other sites.  Now, I'm not suggesting you go around and post links to your site on every comment system you can find, but if there are some discussion boards where links to your content will contribute to the discussion, I would suggest you look into that option if you need to raise the relevancy of your site ASAP. I put some emphasis on the word "contribute" for a reason... people tend to hate spam.