Problem with deployment on the production server ...

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Nov 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Hi Experts,

I have a problem with the deployment of BE on my production server. Everything works find on local IIS. However after creating

the folder in remote server and after uploading the BE files and folders into it, I get the following error message. It speaks of

a possibility of the virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. Has anyone any experience with this

problem and how to solve it?

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 7:  	</configSections>
Line 8: <BlogEngine>
Line 9: <blogProvider defaultProvider="XmlBlogProvider">
Line 10: <providers>
Line 11: <add name="XmlBlogProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlBlogProvider, BlogEngine.Core"/>

Regards,

Matti

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2010 at 6:32 AM

If you install BE in a sub-folder, that will only work if you mark that sub-folder as an Application in IIS.

If you have direct control over IIS, you can convert that sub-folder to an Application.   Or if it's hosted somewhere, oftentimes webhosts will have a way in their control panel or thru a support request to convert a folder into an Application.

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Thank for the reply,

yes, the blog is hosted outside. I contacted the host and they made the change on the folder you suggested - and indeed

the BE started immediately to work as expected!

Do you know if the Publish option of Visual Studio 2008 is capable of marking the deployment folder as an Application

automatically?

Matti

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

That's good to hear.  No, as far as I know, publishing doesn't have any control over settings in IIS.  The publish feature would need to be capable of doing that, and IIS would need to somehow be open for allowing remote, unauthenticated requests to make changes within IIS for the website, which would be very dangerous (from the web hoster's point of view).