Customize recent posts

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls, Themes
Nov 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I'd like to customise the recent posts list so that it only displays the post title, and below it a snippet of the post (e.g. 100 chars) and display it on the footer of my blog. I've not really got any idea where to start with this, could anyone help me out? Thanks

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I too need to display recent post (category wise) on the first index page.

Any ideas..

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM

In the /admin/Settings/Main.aspx

[I'd like to customise the recent posts list so that it only displays the post title, and below it a snippet of the post]

Check the boxes for : 

Only show description of posts

Only show description of posts when listed by Tag or Category

Now for the  [display it on the footer of my blog.]

Not sure off hand how to do that yet.  Not really 100% sure what you mean by this.  Is there another website

that does this for an example? 

Hope this helps,

Brian Davis

Java Blog

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM

The description check boxes only apply to the actual posts, not the widget itself.  <blog:RecentPosts runat="Server" /> will place the recent posts anywhere on my page, but I just need to change the format of it to get rid of the # of comments, and include a brief snippet of the post under the title

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I've managed to figure it out by looking for the method in BlogCore. I've included post.Description.ToString() in the recentPosts.ascx.cs file on the line where it outputs each post. This allows me to write a specific description for each post hat will get displayed in the recent posts widget.