How do trackbacks work?

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Mar 8, 2008 at 6:59 PM
I have been trying to make trackbacks work between two BlogEngine.NET sites. When I reference a post from site #2 in site #1, a comment gets added to site #2 that says something like:

Pingback from tmrogcom000.web141.discountasp.net
My favorite Blog
tmrogcom000.web141.discountasp.net

Is this what is suppoed to happen? Shouldn't it reference the url of the post on site #1?

Also, whenever I click "Trackback" on either of my sites I get the dreaded HTTP 404 error - "The webpage cannot be found".

I'm just trying to learn about trackbacks so any help would be greatly appreciated.

tmrog
Mar 8, 2008 at 8:37 PM
Actually, I'm wondering whether there is a bug in the TrackbackHandler.cs. In ProcessRequest() it looks like this:

if (!BlogSettings.Instance.IsCommentsEnabled || BlogSettings.Instance.EnableTrackBackReceive)
{
context.Response.StatusCode = 404;
context.Response.End();
}

In ProcessRequest of PostbackHandler.cs in looks like this:

if (!BlogSettings.Instance.IsCommentsEnabled || !BlogSettings.Instance.EnablePingBackReceive)
{
context.Response.StatusCode = 404;
context.Response.End();
}

Looks like there is a missing "!" in from of BlogSettings.Instance.EnableTrackBackReceive. Of course, I don't really understand this code but I think it might prevent Trackbacks from working.

tmrog
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Mar 12, 2008 at 1:59 AM
The bug above aside. Presumable, the pingbacks should still work. Does anybody have trackbacks or pingbacks working reliably?

I have been testing it between two blogs hosted off the same site. Is there a reason this won't work?

I am using DiscountASP.NET.

tmrog