The type or namespace name 'Resources' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Nov 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Hi All,

My BlogEngine.NET was working fine when it runs standalone. Just added BlogEngine to my existing ASP.NET and merged Web.Config perfectly now it throws the compilation error as follows. May I know why this occurs?

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Resources' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\WebOpen\BlogEngine.NET\admin\Comments\Menu.ascx.cs 4 7 WebOpen.Web
Error 2 The type or namespace name 'Resources' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\WebOpen\BlogEngine.NET\admin\Comments\Editor.aspx.cs 6 7 WebOpen.Web
Error 3 The type or namespace name 'Resources' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\WebOpen\BlogEngine.NET\admin\Comments\DataGrid.ascx.cs 8 7 WebOpen.Web

In the web.config I have changed the AppSetting like this

<!--This value is to provide an alterantive location for storing data.-->
  <add key="StorageLocation" value="~/BlogEngine.NET/App_Data/"/>

<!-- You can e.g. use "~/blog/" if BlogEngine.NET is not located in the root of the application -->
  <add key="BlogEngine.VirtualPath" value="~/BlogEngine.NET/"/>

My existing ASP.NET site is created as an WebApplication in the Visual Studio

Please anyone guide me to solve this issue.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Anyone got any solution for this error? or anyone guide how to integrate with my existing ASP.NET site. Please help me on this.

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2010 at 4:37 AM

Is there communication between your existing site and BE ?  If not, or just a little, you could consider not merging the applications and make the BlogEngine.NET folder be a separate application in IIS.  If you did this, you would essentially have 2 separate applications -- your existing site in the root, and BE in the BlogEngine.NET folder.  In general, this makes it easier for two separate applications to co-exist.  If you do this, the files in the BlogEngine.NET folder would be the the original BE files -- you wouldn't need to modify the Web.config file, etc.  Just a suggestion.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Actually BlogEngine is going use the same login of my existing website.

Even I tried this article http://www.ajaymatharu.com/integrating-blogengine-into-an-existing-site/comment-page-2/

Now I am getting this error

Error 16 The type or namespace name ‘WidgetBase’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\My.Web\BlogEngine.NET\widgets\Page List\widget.ascx.cs 7 48 My.Web
Similarly 20 errors all under the folder name widgets.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:18 PM

adding to the above post ...

As I have my blogengine as sub folder, I moved App_Code folder with data to the parent site folder.