SQL or XML provider

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Dec 7, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I'm brand new to BlogEngine.net so forgive the newbie questions. What is everyone's experience with using SQL as the data provider?  Outside of scalability is there a real compelling reason to use MS SQL?

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:12 AM

I've used both for my personal blog. I had no issues with using XML.  If you're running a small site and SQL costs you more, I'd go with XML.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I have been using Vista DB Express with about 600 users for a hiking club website, no comments and it is very slow adding and deleting users, I am now experimenting with BE_2.0 RC and SQL_CE and it is great, I like it so much I have reentered all the users in the new DB, it works great and it is a flat file system like Vista DB, so far there is only one way to view and edit the DB, that is Web Matrix but there will updates to VWD and it will interface with it.  If you are going to have a lot of users I think a database is more efficient for viewing data, not so many users XML is great.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. This deployment won't have much of a load so I'll probably stick with XML this time around.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:49 AM, jerrysdean43 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have been using Vista DB Express with about 600 users for a hiking club website, no comments and it is very slow adding and deleting users, I am now experimenting with BE_2.0 RC and SQL_CE and it is great, I like it so much I have reentered all the users in the new DB, it works great and it is a flat file system like Vista DB, so far there is only one way to view and edit the DB, that is Web Matrix but there will updates to VWD and it will interface with it. If you are going to have a lot of users I think a database is more efficient for viewing data, not so many users XML is great.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com