This project is read-only.

Help with - Extensions & Upgrading

Topics: Controls
Dec 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Whenever I try to add an extension to my blog, I get a compilation error when I try to load even the homepage of the blog. For instance, I downloaded the AddThis.NET, unzipped it and FTP'd it just like the directions say and then I got an error when I tried to go to the blog via Firefox. Even if I just upload the AddThis.cs I get this error:

CS0117: 'BlogEngine.Core.Utils' does not contain a definition for 'Log'

\blog\App_Code\Extensions\AddThis.cs    Line: 670

I tried this extension on another I own and got the same thing (and it's the latest version of blogengine)


Then when I try to upload another extension, this time a twittersahre one, I get this arror:

CS1501: No overload for method 'ExtensionAttribute' takes '4' arguments


What am I doing wrong?


Also, if I want to upgrade my to the latest version, is there anything special that I need to do besides just uploading the new files? I know I have to do the things in the installation guide again, but how do I back up all the blog entries?

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM

What version of BE is your blog?  The extensions you are trying to install may have been created under a newer version of BE than you are using.  The first error, for example, is referring to Utils.Log() which was added in BE v1.6.  If you're using an older version of BE, then you would get these errors.

For upgrading, the latest version of BE is 1.6.1.  There is a 2.0 RC (release candidate now).  The final version of BE will probably be released within the next month.  If you upgrade to that version, these upgrade instructions will come in handy.  Actually, even if you upgrade to BE 1.6, those same upgrade instructions should work for that scenario too.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Thanks for the reply BenAmada.

First, how do you tell what version you're running?

Between BE is 1.6.1 and 2.0 RC, which one should I update to right now?

Is there a database associated with BE? I mean, for Wordpress there is a MySQL database that you have to back up, what do I have to backup for BE? It's most important to me that I don't lose all the blog's content I have on there now when I upgrade.

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Most BE themes show the BE version in the footer.  If you don't see it there, go to the control panel, and the version number will probably be in the footer there.  If not there, then switch to the Standard theme (temporarily) and you'll see the version number in the footer of that theme.

Between 1.6.1 and 2.0, version 1.6.1 is the "stable" release, so if you were upgrading today, going to that version would be better.  However, there's no major problems with BE 2.0 RC.  We've fixed some issues and those fixes will be included in the final BE 2.0.

By default, data is stored in the App_Data folder on your blog.  So if you just backup that single folder (and all of its subfolders), you'll have a complete backup of all your data.  There is also an option to use a DB with BE.  If you setup a DB for BE, that's where your data would be, and you would instead want to backup the DB instead of the App_Data folder.  Although if you've uploaded images or files into your blog posts, those are always saved in the App_Data folder, even if you're using a DB.  You can check the App_Data\Posts folder where there are .XML files.  Each XML file corresponds to a blog post.  If you see your blog posts in that folder, then that's where your data is.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Again thanks for the reply.

I am sorry to say that I think BE is a frustrating piece of crap. I have spent way too much time on simply trying to upgrade and just can't do it.

I decided to create a new folder to put it in on my server to do a fresh install. (I already have an old, working version of BE on this server in another folder).

After I do EVERYTHING in the Fresh Installation Guide found here and I browse to the page I  now get this error:

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'BlogEngine.Core.Providers.MSSQLBlogProvider'.

Most applications and blogs work the first time you upload them and follow the directions, this is very frustrating. Shouldn't the darn thing just work? Why do I have to start debugging and hacking to get it to work? I simply downloaded the 1.6 version from this site and ftp'd it over, followed all the directions and yet it doesn't work. Any more help is much appreciated.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Sorry, you're having problems.  I recommend the Upgrade Instructions I posted a link to the other day -- this one.  This particular set of upgrade instructions will work for upgrading to BE 1.6 or BE 2.0, etc.

The error message you're seeing indicates you have some older components hanging around, probably an older web.config file.  MSSQLBlogProvider is from a very old version of BE -- it no longer exists.  Your web.config file might be trying to load MSSQLBlogProvider.

If you follow these upgrade instructions, it is basically starting from scratch and then copying all of your data into the new blog.  It should alleviate these types of issues where you have old code lingering around.  Good luck.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM

OK, thanks so much. I'll give it a shot and let you know.