Question about upgrade from one version to another

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I'm reviewing BlogEngine.Net to see if it is suitable for my needs and I have a question regarding upgrading between versions.

I have noticed in the setup folder there are SQL Scripts to run on the database when moving to a new versions. However, if I chose to use XML for storing data (initially, at least, to cut down on hosting costs), what would the upgrade procedure be when moving to a new version. There would be no database schema to upgrade, and I assume the format of the XML files may change.

Finally if I was to decide on moving to a database, sometime in the future, how would I go about getting the data from the XML files into the database.

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM

With XML provider, App_Data folder is your "database". Coping your existing App_Data into new version should be all you need. Plus any custom code you might have, like extensions, themes, widgets etc.

To move from XML to DB you can export content to BlogML, change provider in the web.config and then import from that BlogML file. BlogML has few limitations, so you might lose some data in transition. We are working on improving this process.