Unable to upload videos in 2.0 RC

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Hi,

I am unable to upload video files to posts when using the 2.0 RC.

I click the upload video button on the post editor, and get the file upload dialog.  I then select my file (tried several different .wmv files), and click upload.  At that point I get an error saying (in Google Chrome):

This web page is not available.

The web page at http://localhost:50903/admin/Posts/Add_entry.aspx?id=73dd397b-71d3-44e0-8738-66855fecbd9d might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

Below is the original error message

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.

Not sure if it is any help, but I ran the debugger on my project while trying to perform the above steps.  I got the following error:

Call stack location:

BlogEngine.Core.DLL!BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule.ContextPostReleaseRequestState(object sender, System.EventArgs e) Line 127 + 0x3f bytes

Source file information:

Locating source for 'E:\Projects\BlogEngine-HG-7\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\HttpModules\CompressionModule.cs'. Checksum: MD5 {70 84 45 a1 1f b5 bf 41 d4 67 e4 d7 52 29 f0 12}The file 'E:\Projects\BlogEngine-HG-7\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\HttpModules\CompressionModule.cs' does not exist.Looking in script documents for 'E:\Projects\BlogEngine-HG-7\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\HttpModules\CompressionModule.cs'...Looking in the projects for 'E:\Projects\BlogEngine-HG-7\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\HttpModules\CompressionModule.cs'.The file was not found in a project.Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\vc7\atlmfc'...Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\vc7\crt'...The debug source files settings for the active solution indicate that the debugger will not ask the user to find the file: E:\Projects\BlogEngine-HG-7\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\HttpModules\CompressionModule.cs.The debugger could not locate the source file 'E:\Projects\BlogEngine-HG-7\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\HttpModules\CompressionModule.cs'.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Ok, I uploaded my project to a different server and the video upload now works fine.

My next issue is that videos do not get embedded in my page properly when using a custom theme.  On the main blog page, they just show up as the markup:

[video src="myvid.wmv"]

This issue only occurs on 'Posts'.  If I embed a video on a 'Page' then it shows up fine.

Any idea what is up with that?

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM

That's good it's sort of working now.  On the Post where the video is not displaying, I would do a View Source in your browser and see if there's any HTML markup mixed in with the [video] tag.  It may accidentally have a <span> tag or &nbsp; etc mixed in there.  For example [video &nbsp;src="myvid.wmv"] or something like this.  Of course we don't want there to be any HTML tags/markup mixed within the [video] tag.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I have just figured this out.  The problem was that I was using <%=Post.Content%> in my PostView.ascx control.  I replaced this with <asp:PlaceHolder ID="BodyContent" runat="server" /> (just like the default theme) and the videos now work as expected!  Can't see anything about this in the Theme Creation documentation, so wonder if it is a new thing for 2.0?

I am very happy that it is fully working now :-)