RC2 lists each extension twice

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I see that RC2 comes with many extensions installed.  For some reason, the extensions tab is listing each extension twice. I haven't installed any additional extensions, so this is the RC2 behavior out of the box. I'm wondering if this is a known bug?

Thanks,

-Northk

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM

It's an unknown bug :)  Actually, in BE 1.6 or 1.6.1, the same thing has been known to happen, but because it happens to so few people, happens very sporadically (i.e. not consistently) and because I haven't been able to reproduce it, it is something that lingers.

It could however be related to memory leaks.  BE 1.6 had memory leaks that were fixed before BE 2.0 RC was released.  But BE 2.0 RC also had (separate) memory leaks.  These have been fixed and the final BE 2.0 will no longer have these memory leaks.

If you restart your blog, the double extensions should disappear.  You can restart it by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc).  When the final BE 2.0 is released, you can upgrade to that and see if these double extensions stop appearing.  You could even upgrade to the latest build on the Source Code tab above.  This does require compiling the BE Core project yourself though.  So it might be easier if you wait for the final release of BE 2.0.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Hi Ben,

Confirming that restarting the blog per your instructions causes the double extensions to disappear. I will probably wait to upgrade until the final release is out, as long as I don't run into major problems.  Next step is for me to check out the theming as I plan to build a completely custom theme.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Just has the same thing, actually see all extensions like 10 times in the list. Will rety an app pool recycle, see if that solves it.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Well, that worked, but only temporary. Now they are doubling up again...

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Someone who was experiencing the multiple Extension listings just handed over some code to me that is supposed to fix it.  I'll be testing it out.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:34 PM

want me to try it... I also have the issue...

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM

BE 2.0.0.37 has some changes that should prevent Extensions from being listed multiple times.  It's available on the Source Code tab.  You do need to be able to compile the BE Core project with Visual Studio to use that release.  Hopefully some people here who are experiencing multiple extension listings can try BE 2.0.0.37 out and see if it solves the problem.

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I just noticed that I'm getting this double listing as well.  Version 36 though. I'll try the web.config trick before I attempt to build the core.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:07 AM
Edited Feb 16, 2011 at 2:06 AM

This isn't a problem with 44, in fact, 44 is working great.

I was having the same problem.  I am on the MS Home package at 1and1. I deleted the Web.config file from the server, and re-uploaded it using FileZilla 3.3.5.1.  This seems to have stopped the behavior, at least for the moment. Repeated relogs and revisits, haven't caused anymore duplication.

more information: I was administrating my website using Google Chrome 9.0.597.98 on Windows 7 Ultimate. And was duplicating the list every visit to the extensions page. I had ten listings each. And clicking on edit for an extension would list the settings as many times. This was using version 36.

Unfortunately, the problem returned after a short while.

I hope, somehow, this helps.  Thanks for a great product.

updated - added that the problem has returned