Changes aren't saving in 1.6.0

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Hi,

I've installed BlogEngine 1.6 on my WinHost account. My main URL is jeffreygetzin.com, and I've put the software in the blog/ subdirectory, which I've enabled as an application directory.

When I hit the page http://jeffreygetzin.com/blog, it starts up ok, and I get no errors. I can change the name of the blog via Administration/Settings, for example, and those changes work.

However, if I try to change the "About the Author" text by clicking on "Edit" on the front page, then I get the pop-up editor, can enter text, but when I click Save, the new text is discarded and I'm left with the original default text of "Something about the author".

Some info that may or may not help.

As I mentioned, I'm using WinHost. My website runs at the top-level directory.  I'm running ASP.NET 3.5.  APP_DATA/ is rwx.

Any suggestions as to what I should try? I'm a strong C# developer, though not an IIS guru.

Jeff

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:37 AM

P.S. Another symptom, or possibly a different problem.

I view the sample post, then elect to view the replies. At the bottom of the replies, I typed a few letters in for my own reply, then switched to Preview.

The little AJAX-loading icon shows but then nothing happens. It just hangs.

Jeff

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 3:39 AM

In the control panel, on the Settings tab, in the Advanced Settings section is a checkbox labeled "Compress WebResource.axd".  Uncheck that, save, and then try it out.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Nice one! That fixed the preview tab change problem! What did that option do?

But I'm still having the "Something about the author" editing problem. Other suggestions?

Jeff

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Can you create a post?  Can you edit other widgets?  Maybe try adding a new TextBox widget to see if that works, and then try editing it, and then try deleting it.

One thing to check is if the files are being updated.  If you edit a widget, or add a new one or remove one, that data will be saved in the App_Data\datastore\widgets folder.  After trying to do some of the above things (add, edit, delete), see if any of the files are being updated in that folder -- i.e. by checking the timestamps.  If you don't see any files being updated, that could mean that Write permissions are not setup correctly on the App_Data folder.

Similarly, for posts, they are stored in the App_Data\posts folder.  If you create a new post, or edit an existing one, I would check that folder to see if any files are being updated.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Hi Ben,

I was able to create a post, but oddly, only the subject was saved. In other words, when I created a post with a subject "Test Post" and message contents "la la la", the blog shows a post with a subject of "Test Post" but for the message, says "[No text]".

Likewise, I was able to create a new textbox widget with a subject of "Jeff's TextBox" and content "La la la" (I know: originality's not my strong point). The widget appeared on the page, and again, the subject was there, but there was no message body.

I'll check the filestamps now.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S. If you like, you're welcome to go onto the blog site yourself and muck about. I don't have any actual blog posts there, so there's no risk of you accidentally breaking anything. At the moment, the admin account and password are the defaults.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 12:40 AM

P.P.S. It looks like the xml files are being created in the widgets directory, but without the content being changed/written. For instance, the file for the about the author widget contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<SerializableStringDictionary>
     <SerializableStringDictionary>
         <DictionaryEntry Key="content" Value="Something about the author" />
    </SerializableStringDictionary>
</SerializableStringDictionary>

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Likewise, the file for my test post was generated as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?> 
 <post>
     <author>Admin</author> 
     <title>Test post</title> 
     <description /> 
     <content>[No text]</content> 
     <ispublished>True</ispublished> 
     <iscommentsenabled>True</iscommentsenabled> 
     <pubDate>2010-12-22 17:10:00</pubDate> 
     <lastModified>2010-12-22 17:13:18</lastModified> 
     <raters>0</raters> 
     <rating>0</rating> 
     <slug>Test-post</slug> 
     <tags /> 
     <comments /> 
     <categories /> 
     <notifications /> 
  </post>

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2010 at 1:43 AM

I was able to log into your site, which was helpful.  There's a unexpected JavaScript error occurring related to the tinyMCE WYSIWYG editor.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like a JS (JavaScript) file on your server is not the correct size -- it's off by 1 to 4 bytes compared to the same JS file on other blogs I took a look at.  I'm guessing, but could be wrong, that that discrepancy is causing the JS error.

I would re-upload the "editors" folder to your server.  Hopefully your original copy is good.

Specifically, it's this file here.
http://jeffreygetzin.com/blog/editors/tiny_mce3/tiny_mce.js

On your server, it's 161,787 bytes, but should be 161,783 bytes ... or maybe 161,786 bytes -- depending on the blogs I checked, they are one of those 2 sizes.  I think the 3 byte discrepancy with these other sites is because of Unicode BOM characters -- which is not really important.  The main point is it looks like your file is off by either 1 byte or 4 bytes.  So, please try re-uploading when you have a minute.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Wow! That did the trick!

At first, it didn't seem to work, but then I realized that the browser had probably cached the JavaScript file. So I did a shift-refresh, and sure enough, the problem went away! Good call!

Now, I'm seeing another odd behavior, but I haven't nailed it down enough to be reproducible yet. Would you like me to open a separate thread when I have, or should I just tack it to the end of this one?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2010 at 3:32 AM

That's good ... would have never guessed that to be the problem in a million years if I didn't see it first hand.

I suppose if it's a different topic, you could create a new Discussion.