Dec 23, 2010 at 11:29 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 11:30 PM
Something I think BlogEngine could use is some sort of auto bug reporting feature. This would return info on any unhandled exceptions that are experienced. We could use this to return stacktraces, exception types/messages, current request info, user info,
and whatever other info is useful. It'd help us in finding bugs that may otherwise go unreported or unexplained.
Things to consider:
1) Using a web service to post info to would provide the easiest way, I'd think. I just don't know where one would be setup.
2) The bug reporting feature must be entirely opt-outable in the settings page. I'd set it to on by default, but alert the user about it the first time they login as admin.
3) What information should we send back to the service?
-Serializing the exceptions would be very important, making sure to recursively serialize the exception message, type, and stacktraces until there's no more InnerExceptions.
-Current Request information would be helpful, such as the url and parameters.
-BlogSettings values(except for things like mail server info or anything else that might be a security risk to send out).
-Current user information(Username, roles/rights)
-Definitely what version of BlogEngine is installed, any enabled extensions(plus version numbers of those).
-Be helpful to detect if the version of BlogEngine has been modified from the released version somehow. Not sure how that'd be done.
4) We'd want to make sure that no private information is sent out(hence the reason to opt out entirely). Since automated stuff could still miss some details, it'd be nice to have the web service be over https just to add increased security to the bug report
5) Most importantly: Who would be able to see the bug reports? Do to the aforementioned privacy concerns, it probably wouldn't be smart to allow just anyone to see the reports.
I think this is a good idea to have an auto bug reporting feature.
BE 2.5 is already using the "Gallery" as a web service and that is working good.
I think we need to put in an Auto Bug reporting feature into BE 3.0
What Do you think?