BlogEngine.NET 2.0 RC

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Ok I gave up on trying to make themes work on 1.6.1 and decided to upgrade to 2.0. Now I am unable to load my site. It throws this error :(

Line 189:        /// </summary>
Line 190: private readonly System.Web.UI.WebControls.PlaceHolder widgetBody = new System.Web.UI.WebControls.PlaceHolder
Line 191: {
Line 192: ID = "phWidgetBody"
Line 193: };

You can see here as well : http://recipes.poojaz.com/

any clue?

Thanks,

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM

It looks like you're using VS 2005 and possibly with .NET 2.0.

BE 2.0 requires .NET 3.5, which is probably also only available on VS 2008 or later -- if you're using VS.  Without using VS, you can run BE 2.0, as long as .NET 3.5 is available on the machine.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I just verified settings on my godaddy a/c, it says .NET 3.5 and IIS 6.  DO you think I should upgrade to IIS 7?  Would that help?

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Did you compile BE or do anything with it in VS 2005?

I said that because on that error page, if you click the tiny link "Show Detailed Compiler Output", one of the lines reads:

Microsoft (R) Visual C# 2005 Compiler version 8.00.50727.3053

That particular error is showing code with new syntax that was introduced in VS 2008 -- "object initializers".  When you run and/or compile in VS 2008, it recognizes that syntax.  But VS 2005 doesn't.

This brings up another question.  Did you compile this into a WAP project ?  Or did you use the "Publish" feature in VS ?   BE may not run correctly if you use these.  It's designed to be run as a Web Site project, where you just copy/FTP the files to the web server, as-is.  If you use the Publish feature, for example, it usually creates a bunch of small DLL files in the /BIN directory.  This has been known to cause issues.  I'm just wondering about that now since normally WidgetContainer.cs (where the error is occurring) isn't a compiled file.  Normally if you copy/FTP the files as-is, you should see WidgetContainer.cs in the App_Code\Controls folder, and ASP.NET on the GoDaddy server will dynamically compile the code at runtime.

IIS 6 should work, btw.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Last time(1.6.1) I did compile and published. but this time - I wiped out my entire domain folder, download 2.0 RC and unzip, dropped into my domain, tried to bring up web page  and encountered error.

Thanks,

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Any error details you can provide, will of course help.  Currently, on this page, the same error message is appearing ... with the same mention of "VS C# 2005 Compiler" note.  Or maybe you deployed to a different site?

Also, BE 1.6.1 doesn't have "WidgetContainer" -- where this error is occurring.  WidgetContainer is new from BE 2.0.  So are you saying that you were getting this particular error with BE 1.6.1?  That's not really possible since WidgetContainer is new since BE 2.0.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:41 AM

i do not have 1.6.1 anymore. I had trouble applying themes in 1.6.1 version and that I did compile in VS.  Here is old ticket - http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=237332

I am switching to BE 2 and not using compiled version.

I am going to create new subdomain and start from scratch there and keep you posted. Thanks,

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Thanks for the info.  It's possible that the Published version was related to the themes not showing in BE 2.0.  So if you go with Unpublished from now, the themes may start showing up.