How Do I Have a "Welcome Message" Just show up on Default.aspx

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM
I'm not very familiar (at all) with .ASP coding. That being said, I'd like a "Welcome Message" describing the blog show up only on the default.aspx page much like how they do it on the dotnetblogengine.net default page.

I tried editing the site.master with HTML with my welcome message, but then the welcome message shows up on every page and I don't want that. Can someone help me out with this? I'm sure there's some way to do it, I just have no clue how.

Thanks for your help.
Mar 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Easy way to have a welcome, is to create a page (in the control panel) and use the checkbox option for the first page.

Gavin :-)
Mar 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM
Gavin, Thanks for responding.

The only problem is, when I do that, it replaces the blog posts on default.aspx. And I'd still like to have the blog posts show up below the welcome message, but have the welcome message only on default.aspx. Does this make sense? Is there a way either a) to make the page under the admin menu and then code in the posts, or b) edit site.master in such a way that the Welcome Message shows up only on default.aspx?

Thanks
Mar 14, 2008 at 10:38 PM
Could try add the text at the top of the PostList.ascx control in User Controls. That might do it.

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="PostList.ascx.cs" EnableViewState="false" Inherits="UsercontrolsPostList" %>
<h1>Welcome</h1>
<div runat="server" id="posts" class="posts" />

Gavin
Mar 15, 2008 at 2:43 AM
Gavin,

I tried that on PostList.ascx and got Runtime errors every time. I know it's possible because dotnetblogengine.net's homepage has it. It's just figuring out how to do it is the hard part...

Thanks again for your help
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM

bart1cus wrote:
I'm not very familiar (at all) with .ASP coding. That being said, I'd like a "Welcome Message" describing the blog show up only on the default.aspx page much like how they do it on the dotnetblogengine.net default page.

I tried editing the site.master with HTML with my welcome message, but then the welcome message shows up on every page and I don't want that. Can someone help me out with this? I'm sure there's some way to do it, I just have no clue how.

Interesting question... I'm not much with coding either, but I am going to guess about it anyhow :-)

The "welcome message" as you are calling it on the BE.net homepage is within a div (id= "ctl00PnlMission") and I suppose that the visibility of the div is set by code- there appears to be lots of code that manages PageLoad... probably in the site.master.cs.

I appreciate that this may not be enough information to solve the problem, but it's my guess about one approach.